HEADINGLEY CASTLE AND ATTACHED WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255942
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
HEADINGLEY CASTLE AND ATTACHED WALL, HEADINGLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEADINGLEY CASTLE AND ATTACHED WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255942 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 00:24:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
HEADINGLEY CASTLE AND ATTACHED WALL, HEADINGLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28193 36012

Details

LEEDS

SE2836SW HEADINGLEY LANE, Headingley 714-1/62/781 (North East side) 05/08/76 Headingley Castle and attached wall (Formerly Listed as: HEADINGLEY LANE, Headingley (North East side) Headingley Castle)

II

Large house, now offices, with terrace wall. 1846, altered C20. For Thomas England, by John Child. Ashlar, slate roof. 2 and 3 storeys, 5 bays. Tudor style. Central entrance bay projects with panelled double doors under a porte cochere with Tudor arch and angle buttresses; oriel window above and 3-light window with hoodmould to 2nd floor; octagonal angle buttresses rise as panelled turrets to upper storey, flanking battlemented parapet; a large octagonal turret at rear of tower. Ground floor right: a large bay window comprising 3 cross windows, crenellated blocking course and octagonal angle turret. Remaining windows are paired cross windows with hoodmoulds; 1st-floor string course, deep crenellated blocking course, tall triple attached octagonal stacks to left and right. INTERIOR: entrance hall only inspected, octagonal entrance hall, vaulted with niches, 4-centred arch to stairwell with large lantern over on brackets. Reputed to retain 3 ground-floor rooms with plaster ceilings, one with pendants and marble fireplaces: the names "Johannes Child "(sic) and "Thomas England", and 1846 on the stained glass of the lantern. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: terrace wall to west: coursed stone and ashlar, overall length approx 50m, attached to the NW corner of the house and returned to S to enclose the N and W sides of the terrace; approx 2m high, battered plinth, moulded string with large ashlar blocks, moulded and battlemented coping; Tudor arch with studded plank door at N end and a massive terminal with moulded capstone at S end. The plan and elevation are very similar, though larger, to No.48, 'Ashwood' (qv), by John Child. The house was built on 22 acres of the Bainbrigge estate land bought from Barbara Marshall. Thomas England was a corn factor of Park Square, Leeds; in 1872 Arthur Lupton, 'gent' lived here. (Douglas, J (Victorian Society) pers. comm.; Porter's Directory of Leeds: 1872-; RHCME: Report: Headingley Castle, Headingley Lane: 1995-).

Listing NGR: SE2819336012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465425
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12236/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].