MIKES CARPETS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256011

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: MIKES CARPETS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, STANNINGLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MIKES CARPETS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 18:23:54.

Location

Statutory Address: MIKES CARPETS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, STANNINGLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 27270 33611

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2733 STANNINGLEY ROAD, Armley 714-1/33/494 (South West side) Mike's Carpets and attached railings

II

Chapel and school, now carpet saleroom. Dated 1905, converted late C20. By Charles Barker Howdill. Red brick and terracotta. T-plan with chapel entrance on corner, Sunday School range to rear. 2 storeys. Entrance front has single-storey flat-roofed porch with fluted columns in antis (obscured by shop hoarding), moulded surround, panelled double doors, flanking windows in architraves with cornice, eaves cornice, blocking course. Main gable behind has an elaborate Venetian window with fluted columns, radiating mullions, moulded architrave; flanking pilasters terminate in domed ventilation louvres, ramped walling, gable coping and at the apex an elaborate date panel with scrollwork, open segmental arch, obelisk finial. Side walls have similar style windows, some original glazing, ornate dated rainwater heads; recessed on left a round-arched doorway with keyblock, similar detailing to windows, shaped gable above. INTERIOR: the main hall has side aisles, cast-iron columns with Ionic-style capitals, dentilled ceiling cornices. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: front wall and railings with square piers, ramped scrolled railings, scrolled detailing to gates, some damaged. HISTORICAL NOTE: the architect became a partner in his father's firm in 1893 and from 1889 was assistant architect to the Leeds School Board. He taught building construction at Leeds and Dewsbury Technical Schools 1886-1903 and at Batley and Huddersfield until his death in 1941. He also taught at Leeds School of Art and is thought to have been the first to use colour photography as an aid to a lecture on architecture. (Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 378).

Listing NGR: SE2727033611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465362

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 378

End of official listing