NEWTON GROVE (TERRACE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256082
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
NEWTON GROVE (TERRACE), 1-4, HAREHILLS AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWTON GROVE (TERRACE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256082 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 07:56:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEWTON GROVE (TERRACE), 1-4, HAREHILLS AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30984 35771

Details

LEEDS

SE33NW HAREHILLS AVENUE, Potternewton 714-1/7/1029 (North side) Newton Grove (terrace), Nos.1-4 (Consecutive)

GV II

4 houses. 1860-70. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, slate roof. 3 storeys over basement, 4 houses each with 3 first-floor windows, No.1 (left) later divided into 2 properties to left of entrance. Nos 1, 2 & 3 have stone steps up to porch with Tuscan columns supporting entablature, cornice and blocking course, large canted bay window in similar style to right, moulded architraves to 1st- and (smaller) 2nd-floor windows, frames (probably 4-pane sashes) replaced. Stone gutter brackets, stone stacks forward of ridge between properties. No.4 (far right): stone steps with original wrought-iron handrail with moulded standards up to a 4-panel door and fanlight in keyed round arch right, moulded doorcase with large console brackets supporting cornice, 2 sashes with 8 uneven panes to left, 4-pane sashes to 1st and 2nd floor, all in segmental-arched architraves with keystones and sill brackets. INTERIOR: not inspected. The first directory entry for this row is 1870 when the occupants included the Revd ER Conder, an oil merchant, a leather manufacturer, and an engineer. No.1 was probably divided into 2 properties when the adjoining block of shops, Nos 168-176 Chapeltown Road (qv) was built in 1891. (White's Directory of Leeds: 1870-).





Listing NGR: SE3098435771

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465295
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Leeds, (1870)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].