HIGHBURY WORKS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256201
Date first listed:
07-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
HIGHBURY WORKS, GREEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHBURY WORKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256201 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 19:16:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGHBURY WORKS, GREEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE2838637063

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE GREEN ROAD, Meanwood 714-1/6/1307 (South West side) 07/09/94 Highbury Works

GV II

Formerly known as: Meanwood Tannery GREEN ROAD. Tannery, fellmonger's works (closed 1994), now vacant. 1857, with later alterations. Built for Samuel Smith. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Corrugated sheet roofs with roof-lights and a single ashlar stack. Quoins, plinth, paired wooden eaves brackets and second-floor sill band. 21 x 27 bays, L-plan with 6 single-storey tanning sheds to east. Main, north-west front has large round-headed cart entrance with flanking segment-headed doorways, each with a 4-panel door and blocked overlight. To the left 9 blocked windows, and to the right 5 casement windows, an inserted door, 2 windows and a further inserted door. Above a central plaque inscribed S.1857.S. Flanked by 10 blocked windows to the left and 9 casement windows and a loading door to the right. Above again 21 openings, originally with louvred shutters, now with the lower portions blocked and 4-light casements inserted. South-west front has a segmental-arched cart entrance with sliding door to left, then 6 irregularly spaced, blocked windows and a door with 8 blocked windows beyond to right. Beneath the windows to left the top of the segmental arch over the mill race is visible. Above an off-centre loading door with 11 boarded casements and a door now obscured by bridge to the left, and 14 boarded casements to the right. Above again 27 openings, originally louvred shutters, now with lower portions blocked and 4-light casements inserted. At the south-west corner a tall circular stack rising from a square base, with a moulded cap, painted brick with iron banding. North-east front has to left a 3-storey, 4-bay block with 4 blocked windows on the ground floor, 4 blocked and boarded windows above and 4 openings on the top floor partly blocked with 3-light upper casements. To the right 6 gables each with 4 windows and above 2 shuttered openings, the windows are mostly obscured by later lean-to additions. The mill race runs under the fourth gable through an ashlar segmental arch. INTERIOR: retains wooden floors and staircases. At S corner the sunken wheel pit survives. Tanning sheds have iron columns supporting wooden roofs, and 2 rows of 10 deep tanning pits with stone sides, the remainder survive though mostly filled. This tannery was built on the site of a medieval corn mill belonging to Kirkstall Abbey. In the late C18 it became a

paper mill, until it was burnt in 1852. The present building was built as a tannery for Samuel Smith, and it became a fellmongers in 1914; closed 1994. This is the best preserved large scale mid C19 tannery in Leeds, one of the leading tanning towns in England at the time.



Listing NGR: SE2838637063

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465143
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11927/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Capt Colin Wolstenholme. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].