CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256233

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, YORK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:41:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, YORK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 57255 51444

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5751SW YORK ROAD, Acomb 1112-1/18/1206 (North side (off)) 24/06/83 Church of St Stephen

II

Parish church. 1831-2 by GT Andrews, on site of medieval church: Chancel rebuilt 1851; Vestry added 1889, and east window inserted 1890. Mid C20 additions at west end. Squared limestone blocks. Slate roofs. PLAN: west tower with ashlar broach spire, a C20 lean-to addition against the north wall, a C20 porch in the south-west angle with the nave, a nave with north and south transepts, a lower chancel, and a north lean-to vestry. EXTERIOR: the tower has angle buttresses, and on each of its 3 exposed sides has a lozenge opening above a chamfered lancet. All the openings have timber louvres. The spire has a weather vane. The single-storey porch has a canted front wall. To the right of the angle is a boarded door, and to the left a mullioned window. The north and south nave walls are of 3 bays separated by buttresses and have chamfered lancet windows. The north and south transept walls both have parapets which are stepped upwards to a shallow central gable, 2 chamfered lancet windows, and central doors set within chamfered lancet surrounds with glazed heads. On the south side there is an empty niche below the gable. The side walls of the transepts each have one lancet light, the north-eastern one now partly blocked and covered by the later vestry. The south window of the chancel is of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head. The north wall of the vestry has a 3-light mullioned window. The east window is of 3 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with intersecting tracery. The east wall of the chancel has a coping with cross finial. The east wall of the vestry has a doorway and a 3-light mullioned window. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records double chamfered pointed chancel arch. Chamfered 4-centred tower arch. Western gallery supported on 4 iron pillars. Ceiled nave and transept roofs, chancel has scissor rafter roof. (RCHME: City of York: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 37-38).





Listing NGR: SE5725551444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465129

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 37-38

End of official listing