This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST DENYS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DENYS

List entry Number: 1256313

Location

CHURCH OF ST DENYS, WALMGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465025

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE WALMGATE 1112-1/17/1174 (South West side) 14/06/54 Church of St Denys

GV I

Parish church. C14 north aisle; C15 chancel and south aisle, with reset mid C12 door; 1846-47 alterations including rebuilding of west end with tower, and north and south arcades. C19 building by Thomas Pickersgill. MATERIALS: magnesian limestone with tile and pantile roofs in three parallel spans with stone coped gables. PLAN: 2-bay continuous chancel and aisled nave with south door, west tower and vestry. EXTERIOR: triple gabled east end with offset buttresses and moulded plinths to chancel and south aisle. East window of 5 lights with renewed panel tracery in 4-centred head, moulded sill string and hoodmould with grotesque mask. North aisle window of 5 lights with curvilinear tracery in 2-centred head and hoodmould: to south, blocked round-headed doorway. South aisle window of 4 lights with panel tracery in 2-centred head, moulded sill string and hoodmould. North side, articulated by 3-stage buttresses, on moulded plinth. 3-light windows have reticulated tracery in 2-centred heads, hoodmoulds and continuous moulded sill string. South side repeats north side, with two windows: third window altered to accommodate reset doorway. C18 plank door on strap hinges, faced on outer side with plain board. Doorway is round-arched, of five orders with moulded imposts and cushion capitals carved with volutes, grotesque masks and scallops: orders carved with foliage, beakhead, chevrons, medallions of leaves and flowers and lozenges enclosing quatrefoil flowers. 3-stage tower has offset angle buttresses and projecting south-east octagonal stair. Board door on C-hinges to south, in 2-centred double chamfered opening. West window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery. Second stage has lancets in double chamfered openings to north, south and east faces. Belfry has 2-light louvred openings with ogee-headed lights in traceried, 2-centred heads with hoodmoulds. Moulded string course to each stage and beneath embattled parapet. Aisle windows are of 3 lights with cusped reticulated tracery. INTERIOR: north and south arcades of hollow-chamfered pointed arches springing from octagonal piers and responds. Tall pointed tower arch blocked by ground floor screen beneath organ loft. In north wall of north aisle, tomb recess in pointed arch with filleted roll moulding, thought to be a Percy tomb. FITTINGS: include: reredos of faience incorporates Paternoster, Creed and Commandments panels. Octagonal pulpit of bordered panels reset on C19 pedestal and with C19 handrail. Cast-iron Victorian hatchment on wood panel on north

aisle west wall. Two boards recording rebuilding of 1798 and 1846-47 in vestry. Cast-iron safe with 'Gothick' mouldings on door. MONUMENTS: include: chancel north wall: kneeling figure of Dorothy Hughes in round-arched niche surrounded by heraldry and symbolic carvings. Chancel south wall: obelisk with tablet and female figure and urn, to Robert Welborn Hotham and family, c1806, by Fisher. North aisle, north wall: white plaque on marble slab, to James Melrose, d.1837, by Plows: plaque to Rev John Walker, Rector, d.1813, and wife, Ann. Over south door: tablet to Dorothy Wilson, d.1717, flanked by Corinthian columns beneath segmental pediment. STAINED GLASS: although fragmented, a considerable quantity of C13, C14 and C15 stained glass survives in the church. Roofs: nave has coffered roof with moulded beams and bosses, six said to be cast-iron. South aisle has four reset C12 grotesque corbels carrying renewed arch-braced trusses. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 15-19).





Listing NGR: SE6071351574

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 15-19

National Grid Reference: SE 60713 51574

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256313 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:17:45.

End of official listing