THE MANSION GOTTS PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256386

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: THE MANSION GOTTS PARK, ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANSION GOTTS PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256386 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 11:54:18.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANSION GOTTS PARK, ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 26364 34386

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2634 ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD, Upper Armley 714-1/27/1197 (East side (off)) 19/10/51 The Mansion, Gott's Park

II

Formerly known as: Armley House ARMLEY RIDGE ROAD Upper Armley. Country house, now offices and clubhouse, with terrace wall and steps. 1781 for Thomas Woolrick, remodelled 1810-1820 by Robert Smirke for Benjamin Gott. Ashlar, low-pitched hipped slate roof. Greek Revival style. 2 storeys, 3 bays, flanking single-storey curved wings. E front: projecting portico with giant fluted Ionic columns supporting entablature and pediment, enclosing wide 2-storeyed canted bay. Sash windows, continuous 1st-floor sill band; 3 round-arched windows to flanking wings, cornice and parapet, balustraded side wings. Tall corniced stacks behind ridge. West front: a parallel 2-storey, 3-window hipped-roofed block with mid C19 features: single-storey glazed ashlar porch has pilasters, deep eaves on stone brackets; architraves to windows, sill band, eaves cornice and blocking course. Tall corniced end stacks. Outer wings demolished mid C20. Sunken service courtyard of apsidal design at northern end. INTERIOR: entrance hall has black and white chequered stone floor, egg-and-dart mouldings to outer and inner hall cornices. 2-flight cantilevered stairs, the balustrade covered, ramped handrail, segmental arch; on the landing paired columns in antis, fluted capitals. Principal rooms not seen. Important features of the house are Gott's cast-iron service stair and the fire-proof structure which includes cast-iron beams supporting vaulted masonry floors and cast-iron panelled doors. The first Greek Revival house built in West Yorkshire. (Linstrum D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 80-82).



Listing NGR: SE2636434386

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464960

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 80-82

End of official listing