NUMBER 37 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256473

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: NUMBER 37 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 37, TANNER ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 37 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 03:49:54.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 37 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 37, TANNER ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59922 51708

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5951NE TANNER ROW 1112-1/15/1060 (South side) 24/06/83 No.37 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: TANNER ROW No.37 British Rail Eastern Regional Headquaters)

GV II

Hotel, with basement area railings attached at front; now offices. c1850, with C20 alteration. Red brick in Flemish bond with painted stone doorcase and dressings; boldly projecting timber cornice on modillion consoles, returned at left end; double span roof of slate, hipped at left end, with brick stacks. Railings of painted cast-iron on stone plinth. EXTERIOR: basement and 4 storeys; 9-window front. Basement windows are 16-pane sashes with painted stone sills and plain impost band stepped and chamfered over windowheads to form lintels. Central portico of detached rusticated Tuscan columns surmounted by balcony balustrade of bulbous balusters: double doors each of 3 raised and fielded panels under plain fanlight in round-arched doorcase of alternately long and short voussoirs. On ground floor, windows are 4-pane sashes over moulded sill band; on first floor, of 3 lights with centre casements and brick sills; on second and third floors, 12-pane sashes with slender glazing bars, squatter on third floor, those on second floor over plain sill band and on third floor over moulded sill band. All windows have flat arches of gauged brick. On first floor, cantilevered balcony with moulded arris survives, without balustrade. Rear: at right angles to front range, 1-storey service wing with three 16-pane sash windows with stone sills and flat arches of brick. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: front railings and standards on low plinth are turned, railings with conical tips, standards with acanthus bud finials. Building was originally 'The George Hotel', latterly 'The North Eastern'. (Murray H: Nathaniel Whittock's Bird's-eye View of the City of York in 1850: York: 1988-: 43).

Listing NGR: SE5992251708

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464871

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Murray, H, Nathaniel Whittocks Birds Eye View of the City of York in 1850, (1988), 43

End of official listing