21 AND 25, STONEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1256514
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
21 AND 25, STONEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 21 AND 25, STONEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:18:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
21 AND 25, STONEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60258 52038

Details

YORK

SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1020 (South East side) 14/06/54 Nos.21 AND 25

GV II*

Formerly known as: Nos.16, 17 AND 18 STONEGATE. Three houses; now two shops. C15 origins; part raised in late C16, part in C18; extension to No.25 c1700, other extensions late C19; C19 shopfront, altered. Restored 1974. MATERIALS: original building timber-framed, front now plastered; extension of c1700 in orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond; other wings of orange-brown brick in Flemish bond and orange brick in English garden-wall bond: plain tile roofs and brick stack. EXTERIOR: 4-bay front, left two bays 2-storeyed with attics, right two bays 3 storeys and gabled: first floor and second floor of right end bay jettied. Shopfronts framed in plain pilasters with moulded imposts beneath cased jetty bressumer have glazed and panelled shop doors and plate glass windows over panelled risers: passage entrance in centre closed by pair of slatted ramped-up gates with brass plate incorporating "T Anderson MD" in foliate border at left side. On first floor, both end windows are oriels, right one with 16-pane centre sash, left one with tall 3-pane casements: in centre, two 16-pane sashes. Second floor windows to No.21 are one 16-pane sash, one 4-pane fixed light. Dormers to left end bays are raking, with 12- or 9-pane lights. Rear: wing to No.21 carried on colonnade of cast-iron columns with leaf capitals over half width of through passage. 3-storied wing at rear of No.21 has 16-pane first floor sash, 4-pane second floor sash, both with soldier brick arches, and hipped roof. Window over passageway is narrow 12-pane sash with segmental brick arch. 3-storey wing at rear of No.25 is gabled: first and second floor windows are 2- and 3-light casements. INTERIOR: timber-frame exposed extensively on all floors of front range. In left of centre bay, winder staircase rises from first to second floor with close strings, slender turned balusters, square newels and steeply ramped moulded handrail. Blocked small round-headed cast-iron fireplaces survive in rear ground floor room to right of passage, and in first floor right end room. HISTORICAL NOTE: from 1898 to 1902, George Walton, designer and collaborator in Glasgow with Charles Rennie Mackintosh, worked from premises at No.21 Stonegate. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 228).



Listing NGR: SE6025852038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464819
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 228

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05017/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur B. Bellwood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].