ALL SAINTS JUNIOR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256555

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1971

Statutory Address: ALL SAINTS JUNIOR SCHOOL, 35 AND 37, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALL SAINTS JUNIOR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256555 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 23:39:18.

Location

Statutory Address: ALL SAINTS JUNIOR SCHOOL, 35 AND 37, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Maldon

National Grid Reference: TL 84560 07080

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL8407SE LONDON ROAD 574-1/6/151 (South West side) 24/09/71 Nos.35 AND 37 All Saints' Junior School

GV II

Church of England school and attached houses. Mid C19. Red Flemish-bond brick with Gault dressings and original steep roofs of scalloped plain tiles and later roofs of plain tiles. EXTERIOR: handed pair of 2-storey staff houses (one with later attic) and tall single-storey classroom blocks either side. The mid C19 works form a U-plan group. The pair of houses have stone parapets to the end gables and a tall central stack with 2 diagonal shafts. Each house has, on the 1st floor, a 2-light cast-iron lattice casement with steep gable over; on the ground floor there is a door opening and a similar window of 3 lights. The 2 flanking classroom blocks, one for each sex, slightly differ in detail but both have steep gables to the frontage and a large square window with later glazing. The south-east block is slightly narrower than its partner and has a plain sash window in its front and a circular window with quatrefoil light in the gable. The north-west block has corner buttresses (angled to rear) and a similar large window to the front. All flank windows are paired plain sashes. To the rear of the houses are small, wall-enclosed yards with pantile roofed lean-tos. Each unit has a flank wall stack and No.37 a low-pitched, gabled dormer with margin-glazed sash. The 1st floors each have a lattice, 2-light casement and a plain sash (later window unit in opening of No.35). The ground floors have rear doors, and No.37 has a small sash. To the rear of the old classrooms are C20 classroom blocks of red brick with gabled plain tile roofs. A similar classroom block now flanks and projects forward of the south-east block and all these have plain paired sash windows. INTERIOR: each original classroom block formerly had connecting door to adjoining house. Drawings of schemes, similar to that erected are held in the Essex County Records Office. (Essex County Records Office: Architectural drawings of school buildings: 1830-1870).



Listing NGR: TL8456007080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464768

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing