13 AND 15, LONDON ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256589

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1996

Statutory Address: 13 AND 15, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 13 AND 15, LONDON ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256589 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:37:57.

Location

Statutory Address: 13 AND 15, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Maldon

National Grid Reference: TL 84733 07026

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL8407SE LONDON ROAD 574-1/6/141 (South West side) 24/09/71 Nos.13 AND 15 (Formerly Listed as: LONDON ROAD (South side) Nos.13-17 (Odd))

GV II

Three identical houses, now 2 dwellings, C15 with C17 alterations and C20 extensions. Timber-framed and rendered, with C20 pargeting and gabled continuous plain tile roof with L-shaped stack to south-east end and ridgeline stack near north-west end. EXTERIOR: one storey and attic; 4-window range; with C20 lean-to extension to No.13 and flat-roofed extension to No.15. 3 gabled dormers, each with a 2-light casement with central horizontal glazing bar. 2 small plate-glass windows beneath eaves. Ground floor has 2 entrance doors and 4 sash windows with moulded surrounds and 2 vertical glazing bars, also one small plate-glass window as above. Further stack on rear and 2-light casement in gable on north-west flank. INTERIOR: good timber-framing of C15 with jowled posts and remmants of simple crown-post roof. This provided 3 identical houses, each with an open hall and one service room, all of one storey only. Each cross wall had curved wall braces down from post jowls to a central stud, and some bracing survives. In the early C17 an inglenook stack with timber mantel beam and a floor with large stop-chamfered bridging joist and spine beams were inserted into No.15. No.13 had a floor inserted, of differing design, with broad central tenoned joists into a bridging joist, but with lambs-tongue stops (reused?). At this time a stack was added to this, south-east, end. The north-west end of the terrace has been truncated, but a reused rafter at this end has a secret notched lap mortice of the C13 or C14. HISTORY: probably a speculative development. The offsetting of braces to allow for a door is a detail also used in the Vicarage of the Church of All Saints, Church Walk (qv). The 3 cottages are probably part of the holdings of Wentworth Charity (1634). (Whites Directories: Whites Directory of Essex: 1848-).

Listing NGR: TL8473307026

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464756

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Essex, (1848)

End of official listing