MOORLANDS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256606
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1970
Statutory Address:
MOORLANDS HOUSE, 48, ALBION STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOORLANDS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256606 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:11:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOORLANDS HOUSE, 48, ALBION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30071 33556

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW ALBION STREET 714-1/76/12 (East side) 19/03/70 No.48 Moorlands House

GV II

Formerly known as: No.48 Premises of Leek and Westbourne Building Society ALBION STREET. Premises of the Leeds and West Yorkshire Assurance Company, now offices. 1852-55, altered C20. By WB Gingell, sculptor Robert Mawer. Richly modelled Venetian palazzo style. Ashlar, wrought-iron balconies, roof not visible. Square plan, on corner site with Commercial Street (right return). 2 storeys with attic and basement. 3 bays. Vermiculated rustication to ground floor with more heavily rusticated plinth, rusticated round-arch doorway with carved tympanum and flanking Venetian windows in round-arched recesses with continuous moulded impost and carved head keyblocks. Retractable metal shutters to ground-floor windows ran in tracks behind the piers to each window arch. Heavy dentilled cornice over ground floor with projecting balconies to 1st-floor windows. First floor: giant paired Corinthian three-quarter columns supporting heavy entablature with festoons and masks in the frieze, the entablature breaks forward over the columns. The 1st floor has 3 tall windows with segmental pediments on console brackets. 3 attic windows above with paired pilasters between, cornice and balustered parapet with urns. Left and right returns similar but single (not paired) columns on first floor. INTERIOR: good quality contemporary interiors including Classical plaster doorcases, pilasters and moulded entablature. HISTORICAL NOTE: W Bruce Gingell was the chief commercial architect in Bristol, responsible for banks, warehouses in the massive 'High Victorian' manner. Millstone grit from 3 different quarries was used in the construction: Bramley Fall for the heavily vermiculated plinth, Pool Bank for the finely rusticated ground floor and Venetian windows, and Rawdon Hill for the 2 upper storeys, columns, entablature and pedimented window heads. This building predates Gingell's Bristol work and is one of the first of the new-style commercial buildings in Leeds; it is noteworthy that it pre-dates the Town Hall. (Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture: 1978-: 20; The Builder, 10 July 1858: 466-467).



Listing NGR: SE3007133556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464727
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 20
'The Builder' in 10 July, (1858), 466-467

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03881/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Novak. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].