1112-1/21/917 (North East side)
14/02/77 Bonding Warehouse and attached
walls, railings and gate piers
Formerly known as: Bonded Warehouse SKELDERGATE.
Warehouse, and attached walls, railings and gate piers
bounding yard to north-west. Dated 1875. By George Styan, City
of York Surveyor.
MATERIALS: pink mottled brick in Flemish bond with polychrome
brick dressings; ashlar plinth, banded in blue brick, forms
river front revetment; hipped roofs of Welsh slate. Yard wall
of brick with ashlar coping; cast-iron railings. Ashlar gate
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 7-bay river front, with paired 2-storey
3-bay fronts to left. 3-storey range: centre bay, between
giant pilasters, has C20 glazed door on ground floor, and
original lifting doors on upper floors. Ground and first floor
windows in flanking bays are segment-headed, with moulded
brick architraves and ashlar sills, beneath arches of moulded
brick with ashlar inserts; small-pane glazing incorporates
central top-hung opening panels. First floor windows recessed
over shaped panels of contrasting brick. Second floor windows
are round-arched and radial-glazed, over sill band. Moulded
eaves string course beneath frieze of shallow shaped panels of
contrasting brick, and ashlar eaves band. Low parapet rises
over centre bay as segmental pedimented gable between panelled
piers flanked by volutes. Urn finials to piers and pediment.
Carved panel in gable depicts the arms of the City of York.
Paired 2-storey fronts have C20 glazed doors on ground floor
and original lifting doors on second floor. Fenestration
detail repeats that on 3-storey front. Roof parapet stepped-up
to form plinth surmounted by ball and pedestal finials over
junction of fronts.
Left return: 2 storeys, 5 bays, outer bays convex on plan.
Centre bay, between giant pilasters, has blind window on each
floor, and arcaded eaves corbel table of ashlar and polychrome
brick. Fenestration in flanking bays repeats that on river
front, while end bays have blind windows. Eaves frieze,
cornice and parapet continue from river front, with curved
gable over centre bay, inscribed: "BONDING WAREHOUSE/ AD
Street front: 3-storey 6-bay range with 1-storey pent bay at
left end, set back from paired 2-storey 3-bay wings to right.
Left range has tiered lifting doors in left of centre bay, and
segment-arched double board doors in pent bay. Ground floor
windows segment-arched, with ashlar sills and sill band; first
floor windows segment-arched with ashlar sills, recessed over
shaped panels of contrasting brick and raised first floor
band. Second floor windows round-arched with radial glazing,
beneath keyed hoods on corbel stops; raised sill band and
narrow impost band. Panelled eaves frieze beneath flat cornice
of ashlar and plain parapet. Paired wings have wide
segment-arched doorways in centre bays, left one with original
sliding doors, right one with double board doors set in brick
screen. Blind segment-arched windows flank doorways, over
raised sill band which rises over doors to form door arches.
First floor window detailing repeats that of 3-storey range;
centre windows are blind and have half-hipped canopies on
console brackets. First floor band. Parapet with plinth
between volutes will ball and pedestal finials at junction.
INTERIOR: full-height staircase with stone steps and cast-iron
banisters and handrail survives in 3-storey part. Lower floors
are brick vaulted on cast-iron columns against fire. 3-storey
part roofed on 5 massive queen-post trusses; 2-storey part on
4 king-post trusses.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: low yard wall with chamfered coping,
raked up at right end, with flat coping. Diagonally set
pointed railings. Chamfered, bar-stopped gate piers, square on
plan, with rounded cross-pedimented caps.
Listing NGR: SE6032851329