KIRKSTALL FORGE FORGE BUILDINGS WITH HELVE HAMMERS, SLITTING MILL MACHINERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256648

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: KIRKSTALL FORGE FORGE BUILDINGS WITH HELVE HAMMERS, SLITTING MILL MACHINERY, ABBEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KIRKSTALL FORGE FORGE BUILDINGS WITH HELVE HAMMERS, SLITTING MILL MACHINERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256648 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 11:04:24.

Location

Statutory Address: KIRKSTALL FORGE FORGE BUILDINGS WITH HELVE HAMMERS, SLITTING MILL MACHINERY, ABBEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 25028 36512

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2536 ABBEY ROAD, Kirkstall 714-1/18/889 (South side) 26/09/63 Kirkstall Forge: forge buildings with helve-hammers, slitting mill machinery (Formerly Listed as: ABBEY ROAD, Kirkstall (South side) Forge Buildings cont'ning Helve-Hammers, Slitting Mill etc...at Kirkstall Forge)

GV II

Forge complex, remains. Buildings probably late C18 for the Beecroft and Butler families, machinery possibly earlier. Earliest remains with helve-hammer in roofless building of coursed squared gritstone with round-arched openings and standing over the former mill goit. The later wheel and hammer are housed in the attached block to NE: round-arched and flat-headed openings, roofed over with corrugated asbestos. This building also contains 2 c1850s drop-forge stamps, steam driven to Naylor's Patent, one larger than the other. HISTORICAL NOTE: a bloomery to transform iron ore to wrought-iron was established by John, Lord Savile c1590. In 1618 the complex, with water courses, was leased out and by 1690 the new weir was built at Newlay and the improved forge was part of the Spencer group of iron works. In 1779 control passed to the Beecroft and Butler families and extensive building work undertaken, including slitting mills, workshops, cottages, chapel, shop, brewhouse; small items were made for the urban market, from shovels to pudding dishes. Steam power was introduced 1835-45 and larger objects were made, steam engines, cranes, pumps etc. The Beecroft and Butler involvement came to an end in 1878. The forge continued making railway lines and axles and in the C20 a change was made to motor vehicle axles. In 1974 the firm was taken over by GKN Axles. (Brears P: The Leeds Heritage Trail: 1993-).

Listing NGR: SE2502836512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464679

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brears, P , The Leeds Heritage Trail, (1993)

End of official listing