LEEDS LAW SOCIETY PREMISES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256652
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
LEEDS LAW SOCIETY PREMISES, 1, ALBION PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEEDS LAW SOCIETY PREMISES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256652.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 12:10:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEEDS LAW SOCIETY PREMISES, 1, ALBION PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 30079 33618

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW ALBION PLACE 714-1/76/1 (North side) 26/09/63 No.1 Leeds Law Society premises (Formerly Listed as: ALBION PLACE (North side) Nos.1 AND 1A Leeds Law Society (No.1) and premises occupied by Stanley Walker (No.1A))

GV II

House. 1795, alterations c1878 and later, restored 1990. For William Hey. Red/brown brick, stone details, slate roof. 2 storeys, attic, cellars. 5 first-floor windows. Stone plinth. Modillion cornice and wide pediment with restored oval window. Stone steps to central entrance with Tuscan columns in antis, round-arch recess with keyblock over containing fanlight. Flanking sash windows restored 1990. First floor: 5 sashes, frames restored, flat brick arches, window sills are part of plain string course. Rear: original ground-floor windows blocked, upper-floor windows, including round-headed stair window restored 1990. INTERIOR: not inspected but reputed to contain: brick-vaulted cellars with stone floor; main staircase with original wooden balustrade rising from entrance hall; 1st-floor c1878 fittings to Law Society library and board room; attics with C19 cooking range and a smaller possibly original fireplace, queen post roof. This is the central block of the house and consulting rooms of William Hey, the 'father of Leeds surgery'. The flanking bay to right, No.1A Albion Place (qv) is part of the original house, shown in a water colour by Russell of 1802, (original in Birmingham City Art Gallery), and a source of reference during 1990 restoration. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building became the premises of The Leeds Law Society in 1878. William Hey began his practice at the Slip Inn, Bay Horse Yard in 1758; in 1767 he was a founder of and first surgeon at the Leeds Infirmary, Kirkgate; 1775 a Fellow of the Royal Society; 1787 and 1802 Mayor of Leeds. No.1A Albion Place was the eastern range of the same house (qv); the western block frontage was rebuilt c1920. (1988-1990).



Listing NGR: SE3007933618

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464683
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03880/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Novak. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].