This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST SAVIOURGATE UNITARIAN CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST SAVIOURGATE UNITARIAN CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1256710

Location

ST SAVIOURGATE UNITARIAN CHAPEL, ST SAVIOURGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 464649

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NE ST SAVIOURGATE 1112-1/17/996 (North West side) 14/06/54 St Saviourgate Unitarian Chapel

GV II*

Formerly known as: St Saviourgate Chapel ST SAVIOURGATE. Presbyterian chapel, now Unitarian. 1692; refenestrated, re-roofed, refitted and vestry added 1851-60; restored 1990-91. C19 work by George Fowler Jones. MATERIALS: orange-brown brick in stretcher bond, with brick doorcase and dressings; timber guttering on paired modillions; slate roofs with stone copings. PLAN: cruciform with low crossing tower. EXTERIOR: main entrance in south arm through panelled double doors in raised brick surround with plain cornice, flanked by inserted 1-pane sash windows: round-arched window in raised surround over door. Both returns and south faces of east and west arms have similar windows in flush surrounds, those in flanking arms over panelled double doors with flat arches. Windows are round-headed margin-glazed sashes. North, east and west arms are gabled and have 2-course brick bands at eaves level and blocked oeil-de-boeuf openings in gable ends; roof of south arm is hipped. Crossing tower has pyramidal roof and two blocked window openings with flat arches of brick to south face; east and west faces have single louvred openings. INTERIOR: largely refitted C19, with C18 octagonal pulpit. Ceilings mostly C19, although the north room retains its original plaster barrel vault and roof timbers above. Monuments include many simple white marble wall tablets. Chapel is important for its cruciform plan, and notable as the earliest surviving nonconformist chapel in York. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 55-56).

Listing NGR: SE6062151975

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 55-56

National Grid Reference: SE 60621 51975

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256710 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 02:49:22.

End of official listing