MACKRELLS ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256722
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
MACKRELLS ALMSHOUSES, WOLBOROUGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MACKRELLS ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256722 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 08:44:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
MACKRELLS ALMSHOUSES, WOLBOROUGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 85446 70935

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8570 WOLBOROUGH STREET 1012-1/10/157 (South side) 22/03/83 Mackrell's Almshouses

GV II

Terrace of almshouses. 1874 by JW Rowell, extended in the same style 1894. MATERIALS: Devon limestone crazy-paving rubble, continuous slate roof with moulded rubblestone ridge stacks to party walls. PLAN: double-depth plans. EXTERIOR: one- and two- storeys with attics; symmetrical 15-window range, each house is one-window range. Plinths and rubblestone relieving arches and stone mullions to 2-light first-floor windows. Two entrance bays flanking the centre are stepped forward with wrought-iron finials to the coped gables and pierced trefoils to the apexes; transom and trefoil heads to the first-floor windows; diagonal offset buttresses below moulded string courses to the ground floor flank pointed-arched entrances with labelled hoodmoulds. The right-hand entrance has an inscription in the tympanum over a shouldered-arched opening which reads "By the grace of God the Mackrell alms-houses built and endowed by Thomas and Sophia Mackrell, natives of Wolborough were extended by the erection of eight additional dwellings in the year of Our Lord 1894." A similar inscription to the left-hand entrance is dated 1874. Three groups of six almshouses to each side have similar smaller gables to half dormers with shouldered arches to each 3-pane light of the first-floor windows. A low wall with chamfered coping supports moulded columns with diagonal braces to lean-to glass and slate verandah roofs between gabled and buttressed porches to each house. Three-light to the left and four-light ground-floor windows to the right have timber mullions and transoms. Larger units to each end are similar to the entrance range with 3-light windows and entrances in gabled porches to the returns. The rear is in similar style. INTERIOR: not inspected. A distinguished composition in Devonian limestone, by a noteworthy local architect.



Listing NGR: SX8544670935

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464614
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06891/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Funnell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].