YORK AND NORTH MIDLAND RAILWAY COMPANY WORKSHOPS AND WATER TANK AT NGR SE 5951 5144

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256827
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
YORK AND NORTH MIDLAND RAILWAY COMPANY WORKSHOPS AND WATER TANK AT NGR SE 5951 5144, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of YORK AND NORTH MIDLAND RAILWAY COMPANY WORKSHOPS AND WATER TANK AT NGR SE 5951 5144
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 21:05:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
YORK AND NORTH MIDLAND RAILWAY COMPANY WORKSHOPS AND WATER TANK AT NGR SE 5951 5144, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59550 51456

Details

YORK

SE5951SE QUEEN STREET 1112-1/20/896 York and North Midland Railway Co. Workshops and Water Tank at NGR SE 5951 5144

II

Workshops and water tank, now disused. 1839, altered and refitted in late C19. By GT Andrews for the York and North Midland Railway Company; tank manufactured by the Walker Foundry of Walmgate, York. Workshops of orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond on ashlar plinth; moulded stone cornice; slate roof, hipped at one end, with timber louvre and brick stacks to part; cast-iron water tank. EXTERIOR: front, originally facing railway line: 1-storey 3-bay building supports water tank; to left, lower 1-storey 5-bay attached workshop. Tank building has segment-arched opening blocked with later brick linked by broad stone impost band to round-arched radial-glazed window with stone sills on each side. Sharply moulded cornice encircles building beneath low parapet. Water tank is of cross-braced panels with central circlets, some formerly enclosing date and manufacturer's plates: one plate inscribed Y&NM survives. At rear, segment-headed doorways with replacement doors, one with overlight, flank inserted windows with timber lintels and brick sills. Workshop front has one blocked doorway and four windows with stone sills, all with segmental arches: rear has original doorway with replacement door, one inserted doorway and three original windows. Moulded cast-iron guttering forms cornice around building. Right return: 4-panel door with overlight and window to left, both with segment-arched heads. Windows have small panes with iron glazing bars and central opening panels. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: during the building of The Old Station and former Station Hotel, Toft Green (qv) for the York and North Midland Railway Company between 1840-41, the Company used a temporary station outside the city walls. This building survives from that station and as such is one of the earliest surviving purpose-built railway structures in the country. A plate recording manufacturer and date was removed c1993.



Listing NGR: SE5951051440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464501
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/14646/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].