Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256835.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2020 at 19:21:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Maldon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 85266 06972



TL8506NW HIGH STREET 574-1/9/102 (North East side) 24/09/71 No.109 Rose and Crown Public House


Public house. C15, C16, and later. Timber-framed with painted brick front and plain tile roof, gabled to west and half-hipped to Butt Lane corner; small stack base, off-centre on ridgeline. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 6-window range; with single storey extensions at rear. 1st floor has 3/6 sash windows, one tripartite small-paned sash and one blind rendered recess, all with segmental heads. Ground floor has two C20 windows with segmental heads and 3 tripartite windows with side pilasters, flat hood and frieze and plaster aprons under. Windows have plain sashes with etched glass in lower part. C20 entrance door with segmental head and small panes. Butt Lane elevation is part ashlared render and part painted brick and has return frontage with lower eaves line, plain tiles and hip to north end. The 1st floor has two 2-light casements with single horizontal glazing bars. Ground floor has 2 entrance doors, a small sash with central vertical glazing bar and a 6-pane under a segmental head. The rear elevation to the yard is of some complexity, with a 2-storey rendered block with plain tile roof, parallel to the front range, at the eastern end. This has a tall stack with former oven in its flank with lean-to roof. The 1st floor has a wide C20 three-light metal casement, a 2-light casement with central horizontal glazing bar and small window with fixed cross-pattern glazing. The ground floor has C20 gabled single-storey extension and entrance door. To the west of this is a Welsh-slate lean-to extension, abutting the rear part of a 2-storey cross-wing with hipped and gableted plain tile roof. This has a 6-pane casement in its flank and a lean-to extension in black weatherboarding with slate roof and further C20 extension with asbestos roof. Stump of stack against east flank of cross-wing and larger stack in valley between parallel ranges. Timber-framing of at least 4 builds, probably representing 2 former houses. INTERIOR: to the west are the remains of a C15 parlour cross-wing of 3 bays with widely spaced studs, jowled posts and thick bracing to hollow-chamfered tie beams. Adjoining this is a floor of moulded spine beams and bridging joists, probably representing a late C16 insertion into an open hall.

This is framed to accommodate a chimney stack and appears to have been altered to 2 storeys in C17. Adjoining to the west is a bay of framing with jowled posts, on the rear wall and with lambs-tongue-stopped spine beam. Its western partition, on 1st floor, has both straight bracing, from posts to tie beam and contemporary small studs. To the east is a 2-bay cross wing probably of the C16 with its bridging joists exposed on ground floor. One 1st-floor room has early C19 fireplace with reeded pilasters and roundels. HISTORY: in 1575 part of this property was called 'Cobbes at the corner'. (RCHME: Essex Central and South-west: London: 1921-: 176:4; Stubbings K: Here's Good Luck to the Pint Pot: 1988-: 22).

Listing NGR: TL8526606972


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 176
Stubbings, K , Heres Good Luck to the Pint Pot, (1988), 22


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08984/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].