ST AUGUSTINES PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1256845

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1983

Statutory Address: ST AUGUSTINES PRIORY, PRIORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST AUGUSTINES PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 10:22:30.

Location

Statutory Address: ST AUGUSTINES PRIORY, PRIORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Grid Reference: SX 86410 69054

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8689 PRIORY ROAD 1012-1/12/104 (South side) 22/03/83 St Augustine's Priory

II*

Priory. Early C19 house, remodelled and extended as priory in 1861, with chapel of 1863 by JA Hansom. The chapel by JA Hansom was consecrated in 1863. MATERIALS: stone rubble with freestone and brick dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: monastic buildings built around an early C19 house which remains at the core. EXTERIOR: 3-storey and attic west wing has mansard roof; 5:1:5 bays, the centre a large projecting tower with an arched entrance and broached corners to the bottom stage with an octagonal upper stage which has a slate roof with half-hipped gables and surmounted by a helm spire with a clock face. The five windows to left and right have pointed arch heads to first floor, tented-roof verandah to ground floor and half-hipped dormers in mansard roof. Chapel to the east has a gabled clerestory with geometric traceried windows and a large octagonal tower over the east end with buttresses at corners and arcaded lights; squat slate-roofed octagonal tower with quatrefoil windows and a central octagonal wooden lantern. Early C19 two-storey house is at the centre of the monastic buildings and has slate roof, stuccoed front with sash windows, some splayed bays and a tented-roof iron verandah to the ground floor. INTERIOR: outstanding interiors of the chapel and chapter house are completely intact; the nave of the chapel has an arched-brace roof on colonettes and large angel corbels. FITTINGS: complete,including a remarkable gothic altar by CA Buckler lit from a lantern above over a the large octagonal tower which is supported on stilted arches with marble and banded columns with carved capitals. There may be interior features of interest in other parts of the building. HISTORY: the Priory was the principal house of the Augustinian English Cannonesses Regular established in 1861.



Listing NGR: SX8641069054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464477

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing