54 AND 56, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1256871

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: 54 AND 56, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 54 AND 56, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256871 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 06:15:22.

Location

Statutory Address: 54 AND 56, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Maldon

National Grid Reference: TL 85027 07004

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MALDON

TL8507SW HIGH STREET 574-1/7/84 (South side) 02/10/51 Nos.54 AND 56

GV II

Shops with flat. Mid C18. Flemish-bond brick with red stretchers and blue/grey headers and large M-profile hipped plain tile roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic; 9-window range; with large C20 rear shop extensions. Large stack in central valley and L-plan stacks on each flank. 4 segmental-headed dormers with moulded eaves; 2 with small-paned sashes and 2 with casements. Wide overhanging dentilled eaves cornice returning around east flank, which was exposed to view when newly built. Upper 2 floors each have windows with flush 12-pane sashes and with rubbed brick flat arches with scalloped wavy soffits; the centre window on each floor has simpler scallop pattern. String band between storeys. No.54 has C20 shop front in hardwood with 8 pilasters; 2 small-paned windows and 2 double doors. No.56 has C20 bank frontage with red-brick pilasters, fascia and dentilled cornice with terracotta ornament; 3 hardwood windows and wide entrance with folding hardwood screen. The east flank has 2 segmental-headed dormers; the west flank has 2 dormers with hipped roofs. The rear elevation is partly obscured by later extensions and has 4 hipped dormer windows. The 2nd floor has 8 small-paned sash windows with segmental heads, one is now a fire escape (metal attached to facade) and 3 boarded over at time of survey; 1st floor has 5 similar windows, 4 boarded up. INTERIOR: No.54 has a 1st-floor room of mid C18 panelling with plaster cornice, now used as staff room. Original roof structure of heavy timbers survives intact and one valley purlin is reused late medieval with casement and bowtell mouldings. (RCHME: Essex Central and South-west: London: 1921-: 182:10).

Listing NGR: TL8502707004

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464461

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 182

End of official listing