63 AND 63A, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1256879
Date first listed:
24-Sep-1971
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Oct-1996
Statutory Address:
63 AND 63A, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 63 AND 63A, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:50:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
63 AND 63A, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Maldon
National Grid Reference:
TL 85112 07038

Details

TL8507SW 574-1/7/88

MALDON, HIGH STREET (North East side), Nos. 63 AND 63A Church House

(Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (North side) Nos. 63, 63A, 63B)

24/09/71

GV II

House and shop. c.1770. Timber-framed and rendered with half-hipped gambrel roof to main block and double range of parallel roofs to rear, all in plain tiles. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic and cellar; 3-window range. The main elevation is that facing north-west towards the Plume Library (qv). This has 2 substantial stacks and 3 segmental-headed dormers with margin glazing. The 1st floor has a tripartite sash window with margin glazing, either side of a conventional margin-glazed sash. The walling here is ashlared with coarse-textured plaster. Ground floor has a similar tripartite sash either side of a central open-pedimented Tuscan doorcase with plain semicircular fanlight, panelled pilasters and pulvinated frieze. The 6-panel door has 4 raised-and-fielded panels over 2 flush panels. One cellar opening in plinth with cast-iron bars. On the south-west corner is an entrance through Plume Library boundary wall to private garden with 3 stone steps. Elevation to High Street has central small attic sash window with margin glazing. 2-storey canted bay with flat roof, margin-glazed sashes and glazed light to cellar. Each floor also has one sash with margin glazing and moulded surround. South-east elevation to alley has 2 eaves lines and the upper part of staircase rising as tower to attic level with hipped plain tile roof. This has 2 margin-glazed sash windows. Entrance to shop has tall square fanlight over 6-panel door with 2 glazed lights over 2 moulded panels and 2 flush panels. 2 small horizontal windows, a C19 two-light casement, a cellar light and cellar entrance complete the front part of the main block. The rear part, to the north-east, has a lower eaves line and is of white weatherboarding. This has a canted C19 oriel on 1st floor with paired plain sashes and ornamental pierced brackets. Door with hood on consoles has C20 small panes and one small-pane tripartite sash. The alleyway here is paved with grey stable blocks. INTERIOR: late C18 character; the entrance hall has cornice ceiling and wide rear arch on pilasters of Adamesque character. The staircase beyond is a slightly curved dogleg well stair with turned balusters, hardwood handrail and shaped tread ends and rises to attics. Rooms have a variety of contemporary cornices and there are numerous late C18 doors and architraves. A 1st-floor room has a ceiling with reeded bands. Good early C19 corner cupboard with doors, semicircular-arched head on pilasters and curved shelves. HISTORY: Built c.1770 by the grocer Edward Bright (c.1743-1790), who was reputed to be 'Largest man .... who ever lived in this island'. (Smith J R: Maldon, A Pictorial History: Maldon: 1971-).



Listing NGR: TL8511207038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464469
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Smith, J R , Maldon: A Pictorial History, (1971)
Smith, J R, The Borough of Maldon 1688-1800: A Golden Age, (2013), 211

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08984/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].