Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1256903.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 07:24:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 58126 52187



SE55SE POPPLETON ROAD 1112-1/1/872 (North East side) 01/07/68 Poppleton Road School


Primary school. 1903-4, restored 1942 following bomb damage. By WH Brierley. MATERIALS: red brick in English bond on chamfered brick plinth; dressings and arcading in orange brick; stone quoins and doorcases. Westmorland slate roofs with timber bargeboarded gables; gabled dormers have lead roofs. Brick boiler stack with moulded stone cornice and lantern surmounted by tapering brick pot. Integral rainwater goods of cast-iron and lead, dated on hoppers. EXTERIOR: Street front: 2-storey 6-bay centre range between 3-storey 4-bay ranges set back and linking to 2-storey 3-bay crosswings with open pedimented gables. Centre range and crosswings are quoined. Centre range arcaded in 6 segmental arches: within each arch on ground floor are set paired tall 15-pane sash windows with continuous sills; on first floor, 3-light mullioned and double transomed square latticed windows with moulded stone sills. Linking ranges are articulated by 2-storey arcades of shallow segmental brick arches with stone imposts. The inner bay to each has moulded doorcase with double doors and blind tympanum, approached by flight of steps. Outer bays have squat 6-pane windows on ground floor. On first floor are 9-pane top hung windows with plain stone sills and flat brick arches. On second floor there are two 6-pane top hung windows to each bay, each in segment-arched recess over moulded stone sill band. Above are dentilled and moulded eaves cornices of brick beneath moulded stone coping. Crosswings have windows on first floor only: they are 12-pane sashes with stone sills and brick arches, the centre window having a top hung transom light. Playground front: 2 storeys with basement; 3:1:15:1:3 windows arranged as triplets, the centre ones on first floor rising as half-dormers into 2-centred gabled heads. End triplets set beneath open pedimented gables. 1-window bays are full-height round arches with prominent keyblocks: on basement and ground floors are deeply recessed double doors, on first floor a round-headed small-pane window. Balcony to ground floor door has balustrade with scrollwork centre panel incorporating initials Y and C. Otherwise, basement windows are squat segment-arched lights, most with glazing bars, some blocked; on ground floor tall 15-pane lights with top hung transom lights; on first floor, centre windows of triplets as on first floor, flanked by 12-pane lights. Both returns: 2 storeys, 7 bays. Deep segment-arched recess in centre has moulded stone doorcase containing double doors and segment-headed small-pane overlight. To one side 12-pane sash

window, to the other, three tall 15-pane windows, all having stone sills and segmental brick arches. On first floor, 12-pane sashes rising into half-dormers flank paired 6-pane casements, all with moulded stone sills. North-west return towards Landing Lane has attached boiler stack in the form of a campanile, square on plan, with sunk panelled segment-headed faces and brick corbelled stone cornice with triple keyblock: summit surmounted by louvred lantern and tapering pot. External doors have incised panels with 4-pane lights above. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 292).

Listing NGR: SE5812652187


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 292


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05477/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].