NUMBERS 133-147 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEPIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257011

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1977

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 133-147 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEPIERS, 133-147, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 133-147 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEPIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 19:35:23.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 133-147 AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEPIERS, 133-147, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Grid Reference: SX 86233 71139

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8671 EAST STREET 1012-1/9/65 (North side) 21/06/77 Nos.133-147 (Odd) and attached walls and gatepiers

GV II

Symmetrical terrace of eight almshouses. 1840. MATERIALS: painted stucco, continuous slate roof with moulded and rendered stacks to party walls and gable ends. STYLE: Picturesque Tudor Gothic. PLAN: double-depth. EXTERIOR: one- and two-storeys with attics; each house is one-window range. Two houses to centre, Nos 139 and 141, have ornamental scroll-fretted bargeboard and pendants to stepped-forward 2-storey gabled bays with label moulds and timber mullions and transoms to 3-light casement windows. Paired entrances are in a set-back range between them which has a small gabled half dormer. The three houses to either side have fretted bargeboards to gabled half-dormers with moulded corbels to oriel windows. 2-light casement windows with 3 panes to each leaf, those to first floor have pointed arches with a lozenge-shaped pane to apex. Ground floor has a corrugated-iron roof to a verandah supported by slender iron columns. No.145 retains an original door with two rows of three vertical panes. Rear one-storey service blocks except 2 storeys to centre, all with casement windows. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: high rubblestone walls attached to the front corners step down for approx 3m to meet piers with stepped pyramidal caps. A low plinth to former railings fronts the site with 2 pairs of similar gate piers to each side. HISTORY: in 1576 Robert Haynam endowed properties in East Street "for the better maintenance and relief of poor people". These properties included almshouses which were rebuilt in 1840. (BoE: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 593; Jones R: A Book of Newton Abbot: Callington: 1979-).





Listing NGR: SX8623371139

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464308

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, R, A Book of Newton Abbot, (1979)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 593

End of official listing