BARCLAYS BANK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257027

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1975

Statutory Address: BARCLAYS BANK, 1, 2 AND 3, PARLIAMENT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARCLAYS BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257027 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 12:03:21.

Location

Statutory Address: BARCLAYS BANK, 1, 2 AND 3, PARLIAMENT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60407 51759

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW PARLIAMENT STREET 1112-1/28/831 (South West side) 13/10/75 Nos.1, 2 AND 3 Barclay's Bank

GV II

Bank. 1901, with later alteration. By Edmund Kirby. MATERIALS: red brick in English and stretcher bonds, on polished granite plinth; bands and dressings of terracotta and moulded brick. Roof of Westmorland slates is steeply pitched, with half-conical cross-gable to Parliament Street, flat-topped dormer windows and conjoined brick stacks. EXTERIOR: Parliament Street front: 2 storeys and attic; 7 bays. First floor articulated by diagonally set pilasters on stepped corbels. Right of centre entrance, in round-arched doorcase of three-quarter round columns with stiffleaf necking and moulded capitals, beneath cusped canopy with densely carved foliate spandrels. Double doors are replacements, approached by stone steps. Round-headed windows on ground floor in hollow chamfered architraves beneath foliate stopped hoodmoulds. Right end windows are narrower, in architraves enriched with carved leaf fronds. On first floor, window over door is 4-light oriel extended downwards to form doorcase canopy. At left end is semicircular oriel on massive moulded corbel, with 3 windows separated by flat pilasters. Windows are of 2 or 3 lights with ovolo-moulded mullions and transoms and architraves enriched with Tudor flower and foliage mouldings. Beneath windows is band of moulded panels bordered in coupled carp and chrysanthemums with central lozenges. Frieze of halved sunflowers and heavily moulded cornice beneath parapet of blind traceried panels, interrupted by pilaster heads. On ground floor, alternate pilasters enclose rainwater goods terminating in lion mask corbels debouching into moulded hoppers, and with square section fall pipes shaped to plinth profile. High Ousegate front: right end entrance is recessed beneath elliptical arch of several orders on elaborate tapering corbels, the outer orders carved with leaf tendrils. Remaining detail repeats that of Parliament Street front, including lion mask rainwater heads at base of doorcase corbels. INTERIOR: not inspected.



Listing NGR: SE6040751759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464324

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing