THE JOLLY ABBOT PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257079

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1977

Statutory Address: THE JOLLY ABBOT PUBLIC HOUSE, 16 AND 18, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE JOLLY ABBOT PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257079 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 15:21:27.

Location

Statutory Address: THE JOLLY ABBOT PUBLIC HOUSE, 16 AND 18, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Abbot

National Grid Reference: SX 85892 71142

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8571SE EAST STREET 1012-1/13/49 (South side) 21/06/77 Nos.16 AND 18 The Jolly Abbot public house

GV II

Inn now public house. C17, altered and extended C19, and C20. MATERIALS: painted render over a timber frame with rubblestone rear wings, double-pitched slate roof with forward-facing gables, brick stack to the left and 3 brick ridge stacks to the 2-storey rear left wing. PLAN: 2-unit plan with rear wings, that to the left lengthened in C19. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics; 3-window range. Upper floors, jettied over the ground floor, have C19 moulded forward frames and horizontal glazing bars to 2/2-pane sash windows, one to each attic and to the first floor of the left-hand gable and two to the first floor of the right-hand gable. Ground floor has early C20 fixed windows with leaded lights. The left rear wing has 3 brick stacks and late C19 windows, the right return has C20 windows, the rear right wing has hipped roofs to a 2-storey and an added single-storey range. INTERIOR: the original 4-bay arched collar-beam roof structure with mortices for threaded purlins remains under a C19 higher-pitched gabled cladding. A large room to the first floor of the rear left wing has high coved ceiling, exposed studding to party wall of main block and panelled shutters. Ground floor is altered except for one chamfered beam to the rear left. C19 laundry equipment remains in the rear wing. HISTORY: the first meeting of the Wolborough Iron Mining Company is said to have taken place here about 1872. Augustus Smith, a great benefactor, identified the brown rock of Firestone Hill between Wolborough and Askerswell as haematite or iron ore. The Wolborough Iron Mine subsequently produced 1,240 tons of haematite during the years 1872-73. (Jones R: A Book of Newton Abbot: Callington: 1979-: 31).



Listing NGR: SX8589271142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 464246

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, R, A Book of Newton Abbot, (1979), 31

End of official listing