Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257093.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 13:21:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 60246 51882



SE6051NW NEW STREET 1112-1/28/799 (South East side) 14/06/54 Nos.3-9 (Odd) (Formerly Listed as: NEW STREET Nos.3-9 (Odd) Cumberland Row)


Formerly known as: Nos.3-6 NEW STREET. Terrace of 4 town houses; now offices. 1746, with later C18 extension to No.9, and early C19 and C20 alterations. Orange-red brick in Flemish bond with timber cornice; right return faced with red brick in stretcher bond. M-shaped slate roof with brick stacks and 4 flat topped dormers, 3 with 2-light 6-pane horizontal sliding sashes. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, basement and attics; 12-window front, 3 windows to each house. Basement openings blocked. Each house has 4- or 6-panel door and divided overlight in panelled doorcase of plain pilasters with moulded imposts, plain friezes and moulded cornices. Only No.9 retains unaltered 12-pane sashes on ground floor: others are 1-pane sashes or top-hung windows. All have painted stone sills, and all except No.3 retain panelled shutters. First and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills. Ground and first floor windows have flat arches of gauged brick with painted stone keyblocks, those over doorways fasciated. 4-course brick bands to first and second floors. Moulded eaves cornice on shaped brackets and inverted bell rainwater head dated 1784 at left of No.3. Left return: 3 storeys. 4-pane sashes with stone sills and keyed flat arches of rubbed brick to each floor. Shaped gable with brick dentilled coping. Right return: one round-headed window, one radial glazed, between first and second floors: 3 windows to attic. Brick coping masks roof valley. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircases to each house, those to Nos 5 & 7 top lit, each with 2 turned balusters with knops per tread, moulded and ramped handrails, plus panelled dados on walls. No.3 has front ground floor panelled room, with doorcase and dentilled cornice. First floor has panelled room with fireplace with pedimented overmantel at front, at rear, room with one panelled wall and fireplace with pedimented overmantel, and pedimented doorcases. Second floor has original stone fireplaces. No.5 has fully panelled ground-floor room with C19 fireplace and original cupboard with rounded back and shaped shelves. First-floor front room also panelled, though now partitioned, with blocked fireplaces. No.7 has panelled ground-floor front room with fireplace and

overmantel topped with pulvinated frieze, and round topped cupboard to right. First-floor front room, fully panelled with doorcases and fireplace with swan-necked broken pedimented overmantel. Rear room has one panelled wall with fireplace and overmantel with lugged architrave. No.9 refitted early C19 with contemporary fireplaces to ground and first floors. Second floor has original doorcases. Front room has reused fireplace with pedimented overmantel, back room has original stone fireplace with trefoil motifs. Staircase window on second floor has painted glass probably by William Peckitt and floral panel probably by Henry Gyles. All houses have original doors and fireplaces to attic. Roof of principal rafters with staggered butt purlins. Terrace originally consisted of 6 houses; end houses rebuilt in 1958-9. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 167-70).

Listing NGR: SE6024651882


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 167-70


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06903/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].