LONGMEAD AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATE PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257199
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
LONGMEAD AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATE PIERS, 1, COURTENAY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONGMEAD AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATE PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 12:17:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
LONGMEAD AND ATTACHED WALLS AND GATE PIERS, 1, COURTENAY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Abbot
National Grid Reference:
SX 86412 70795

Details

NEWTON ABBOT

SX8670 COURTENAY ROAD 1012-1/11/24 (West side) 22/03/83 No.1 Longmead and attached walls and gate piers

II

Detached house. 1855. Painted stucco, slate roof with wide bracketed eaves. PLAN: L-plan, with rear wing forming an asymmetrical cross. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with cellar; 2-window range. Plinth; moulded first-floor sill string course, horned 6/6-pane sash windows, those to the ground floor have cornices on consoles. The ends of the cross are gabled, those to the front left, and right return have moulded eared and shouldered archivolts to the first-floor windows which have radial glazing bars; ground-floor windows have cornices on consoles, that to the front is tripartite with 6/9 panes, the sill possibly lowered late C19 when a glazed porch with a hipped glass roof and round-arched lights was installed. INTERIOR: ground floor has panelled shutters, a white marble fireplace flanked by semicircular-arched recesses to the left-hand room, reeded architraves to 4-panel doors and stick balusters to an open-string dogleg staircase. The high dado rail in hall is late C19. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to rear is rubblestone wall which surrounds the grounds. The north side is a retaining wall approx 6m high and 60 long which diminishes to approx 2m at gate piers with pyramidal caps and double C20 gates to the east. The wall curves eastward for approx 20m then curves to the south, approx 1m high and fronts the south side of the garden for approx 100m where are similar gate piers to a pedestrian entrance. HISTORY: the deeds of 1855 state that the house was to be built for a sum not less than »500.





Listing NGR: SX8641270795

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464156
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].