COUNTY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257202
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
COUNTY HOUSE, 32, MONKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUNTY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 20:12:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
COUNTY HOUSE, 32, MONKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60740 52254

Details

YORK

SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/732 (South East side) 01/07/68 No.32 County House (Formerly Listed as: MONKGATE C19 original block to County Hospital)

II

Formerly known as: County Hospital MONKGATE. The County Hospital, now offices: gas lamp standards attached to front steps. 1849-1851. By JB and W Atkinson. Gas lamps by William Walker. Red brick with sandstone dressings. Hipped slate roof. Gas lamp standards of cast-iron with copper lanterns. PLAN: long rectangular. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys above a basement and 15 bays. The facade has a deep rusticated plinth, quoin strips to left and right, moulded sill bands on the 1st and 2nd floors, a plain frieze, and a dentilled stone cornice beneath bracketed timber eaves. The basement is lit by low rectangular window openings within the plinth. The other windows are glazing bar sashes with architraves. The ground floor windows have cornices on consoles. The first floor architraves are lugged and have cornices and pulvinated friezes. Second floor architraves are also lugged. The central windows are tripartite. The 1st floor window has a segmental pediment over its central light. Below its sill a panel of rusticated masonry contains the entrance doorway. It has pilaster reveals and a moulded round arch, recessed within a surround which has voussoirs and quoined jambs of vermiculated rustication and a keystone carved with a female head. The doors have 6 panels divided into 2 leaves. The external stone steps and side walls are renewed in C20 concrete and brickwork. The walls support elaborate lamp standards with copper lanterns. The standards are inscribed 'W. WALKER YORK'. 8 chimneys visible behind ridge. INTERIOR: not inspected. This building was closed as a hospital in 1977. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 49; York Historian: Haxby D and Malden J: Thomas Haxby of York (1729-1796): York: 1978-: 50).



Listing NGR: SE6074052254

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464116
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 49
Haxby, D, Malden, J, 'York Historian' in Thomas Haxby of York (1729-1796), (1978), 50

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02003/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].