CHURCH OF ST MARTIN CUM GREGORY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARTIN CUM GREGORY, MICKLEGATE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257277.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Oct-2020 at 19:53:27.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARTIN CUM GREGORY, MICKLEGATE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- York (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 60005 51609
SE6051NW MICKLEGATE 1112-1/28/692 (South side) 14/06/54 Church of St Martin cum Gregory (Formerly Listed as: MICKLEGATE Exhibition Centre)
Parish church, now public hall. C11 nave; early C13 north and south arcades; mid C14 north aisle with C13 north doorway. c1430 chancel, chancel chapels and arcades rebuilt retaining part of early C14 south chapel east wall; south side rebuilt, retaining late C14 south porch doorway and upper storey window; west tower rebuilt. Late C15 chancel arch and nave clerestory. 1655 north porch added; c1677 west tower refaced in brick. C18 north and south aisles reroofed; nave and north aisle ceiled. 1844-45 tower upper stage rebuilt; vestry and anteroom formed at west end of north aisle. 1894 restoration and chancel reroofed. 1844-45 work by JB and W Atkinson. MATERIALS: dressed limestone with some gritstone, incorporating Pre-Conquest fragments; east end gables and south aisle west gable built up in brick; tower refaced in orange-red brick in English garden wall bond, with ashlar quoins and dressings. Roofs of lead, tile and slate. PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north and south chapels; 2-bay aisled nave and clerestory, north vestry; west tower. EXTERIOR: triple-gabled east end, chancel and north chapel on chamfered plinth, south chapel on moulded plinth; buttresses with offsets, north angle one with decaying gargoyle. North chapel window of 5 cinquefoiled lights with trefoil-headed panel tracery in 2-centred head. South chapel window of three ogee-headed trefoiled lights beneath cusped reticulated tracery, in chamfered 2-centred head with hoodmould. On north side, chancel chapel is of 4 bays articulated by buttresses with offsets and decaying gargoyles. 3-light windows similar in detail to that at east end, over moulded sillstring. Beneath easternmost window is partly buried blocked window of two ogee-headed trefoiled lights in chamfered square head. Coved cornice carved with bosses beneath parapet. Aisle on chamfered plinth. Coped and gabled porch projects towards west end with chamfered 2-centred arch; within, reset doorway with 2-centred arch beneath nailhead hoodmould. Windows are of three trefoiled lights with cusped reticulated tracery in 2-centred heads over chamfered sillstring. On south side, chancel chapel is of 4 bays separated by buttresses with moulded offsets. Windows are of three cinquefoiled lights with panel tracery, some renewed, in 2-centred heads, beneath hoodmoulds. Chamfered cornice and parapet with moulded coping continues across south aisle. Aisle on moulded plinth has three buttresses with moulded
offsets, two with defaced armorial shields and gargoyles. Westernmost bay has C20 glazed door in chamfered round-arched doorway, beneath low window of two ogee-headed trefoiled lights in chamfered square head. Two windows to east, of three cinquefoiled lights and panel tracery in 2-centred heads with hoodmoulds. 3-stage west tower with quoins and embattled parapet, on chamfered plinth incorporating part of Pre-Conquest cross shaft. West face has first stage window of three cinquefoiled lights and panel tracery in 2-centred head. On second stage, square-headed window of 2 lights in quoined chamfered surround. Belfry has openings of paired cinquefoiled lights in 2-centred heads, with louvres; south one blocked, north one incorporates clock face. North aisle west end has one 2-light window similar in detail to those in north wall, over chamfered sillstring returned on north wall. INTERIOR: north and south chancel arcades of 2-centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal pier and responds with moulded capitals and bases. 2-centred chancel arch of two hollow chamfered orders which die into wall. Wall above north chapel arcade has hollow chamfered eaves string carved with leaves and flowers. North and south chapels have 2-centred arches of two chamfered orders on half-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases: outer order of south arch dies into the wall. Nave north arcade of 2-centred arches of two chamfered orders, the inner on cylindrical centre pier with nailhead capital and moulded base and springing from corbel shafts with moulded capitals; outer order continues as the respond and terminates in run-out stop. Nave south arcade is similar but the outer order is broach-stopped over pier and responds. Above and at east end of both arcades, rectangular openings to original rood loft are exposed. Three clerestory windows on each side, of three cinquefoiled lights in square-headed surrounds above chamfered sillstring. 2-centred tower arch of two chamfered orders, the inner springing from half-octagonal responds with moulded capitals, the outer terminating in broach stops. Renewed chancel roof panelling incorporates circular moulded panel enclosing septfoil. North and south chapel roofs panelled with moulded beams and cambered ties, the north one supported on C19 arched braces with mouchette tracery in spandrels. Nave roof panelled, with moulded beams, moulded and cambered ties and painted bosses, those in centre with heraldic shields. North aisle roof ceiled; south aisle roof ceiled at collar level above cased tie beams. In south chapel east wall is tall moulded recess with arched head, partly masked by later monument. In north aisle north wall is tomb recess beneath flattened pointed arch of two moulded orders. In south aisle west wall is reset stoup with a half-octagonal bowl on a tapered base. FITTINGS: C15 font with octagonal bowl, stem and base, and font-cover of late C17-early C18. 1636 panelled hexagonal pulpit on late C19 carved base and plinth; painted inscription 'Preach the Word in season and out of season'. William and
Mary hatchment over tower arch. 1753 communion rails. 1680 clock. C18 breadshelves. C18 reredos - 1749-51 altarpiece (p.22a); triptych reredos with Commandment board flanked by The Lord's Prayer and The Creed. Late C18 benefaction board. Poor box, probably C19 with C18 backboard inscribed with a quotation from Acts XX.35. STAINED GLASS: in westernmost window of north chancel chapel a memorial window to William Peckitt, 'glass painter and stainer' (d.1795), 'designed and erected' by his widow. Easternmost window of north aisle has a window by Peckitt with female figure symbolising the Resurrection, dated 1792, in centre light. Flanking lights contain the figures of St John the Baptist and St Katherine surviving from chantry chapel founded by Richard Toller, merchant, c1330. The church was united with Holy Trinity, Micklegate (qv) in 1953. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 20-26).
Listing NGR: SE6000551609
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 20-26
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing