CROSBY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257394

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1996

Statutory Address: CROSBY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, MERSEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROSBY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257394 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 00:55:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CROSBY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, MERSEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 31463 99478

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSBY

SJ39NW MERSEY ROAD 778-1/3/103 (North side) 26/03/73 Crosby United Reformed Church (Formerly Listed as: MERSEY ROAD Congregational Church)

GV II

Congregational church, now United Reformed church. 1897-8 (dated 1897 at east end); by Douglas and Fordham. Snecked red sandstone, graduated green slate roofs. STYLE: Gothic. PLAN: nave with fleche, low north and south aisles, south-east porch, large north and south transepts, west chancel, south-west choir vestry (with organ-house above). EXTERIOR: the 4-bay nave has angle-buttresses terminating in octagonal turrets, large side buttresses pierced by the aisles, 2-centred arched 3-light clerestory windows with stepped arched lights, a large 2-centred arched 3-light east window with traceried lights, and a slated fleche with open arcading at the foot; the aisles have a pair of small 2-centred arched windows in each bay. The east bay on the south side has a large gabled porch with coupled arched doorways set in a 2-centred arch with 4 orders of moulding. The transepts have large 2-centred arched 4-light windows with moulded surrounds and geometrical tracery. The 2-storey choir vestry has a polygonal turret attached to its south side. The chancel has a 5-light window with geometrical plate tracery, flanked by cusped blind windows. Large congregational hall (probably formerly school) linked to north side of church by single-storey range along east end: in similar style, and with 2 fleche ventilators on the roof. INTERIOR: double-chamfered 2-centred arched aisle arcades on short piers, forming 3 wide bays and 2 narrow bays at the east end; large transept arches in the same style; larger chancel arch with 2 orders of moulding; impressive timber roof of unusual construction, with hammerbeams supported by raked straight braces, arch-braced collar trusses carrying 2 sets of wind-braced purlins, and a flat boarded ceiling over the upper set.



Listing NGR: SJ3146399478

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463931

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing