MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL (GIRLS) THAT PORTION WHICH WAS THE ORIGINAL FOUNDATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1257528

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1952

Statutory Address: MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL (GIRLS) THAT PORTION WHICH WAS THE ORIGINAL FOUNDATION, LIVERPOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL (GIRLS) THAT PORTION WHICH WAS THE ORIGINAL FOUNDATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257528 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:58:00.

Location

Statutory Address: MERCHANT TAYLORS SCHOOL (GIRLS) THAT PORTION WHICH WAS THE ORIGINAL FOUNDATION, LIVERPOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SJ3208599716

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSBY

SJ39NW LIVERPOOL ROAD 778-1/3/61 (West side) 04/07/52 Merchant Taylors School (Girls), that portion which was the original foundation

II*

Original Merchant Taylors' Free Grammar School, now part of Merchant Taylors' Girls' School. Founded 1620, by John Harrison (citizen and merchant of London); altered, and now attached to modern buildings at rear. Large coursed squared sandstone blocks with some freestone dressings, stone slate roof. Cruciform plan formed by main range with projected 2-storey porch to front and projected stair-turret to rear. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3:1:3 windows, symmetrical; with a moulded plinth, string course over ground floor with a frieze of paterae, moulded eaves cornice, and coped gables with kneelers and apex finials. The porch has a round-headed doorway with moulded imposts and C20 panelled divided doors, at 1st floor a tall square-headed blocked opening (like a doorway), now rendered and containing a C20 sundial, and in each side a 2-light mullioned window at ground floor and a 6-light transomed window above. To each side there is a coupled pair of cross-windows at ground floor, a similar but shorter pair of cross-windows at 1st floor directly above these and a 6-light window between these and the porch. All these windows have chamfered mullions and transoms and double-chamfered surrounds. Much of the masonry at ground floor is covered by old incised graffiti (some C18 but mostly C19). Both gable walls have coupled cross-windows on both floors (the upper in the left gable now with wooden mullions and transoms). The rear has a stair-turret with a 6-light window on each floor, and a large extruded chimney stack to each bay (that to the 2nd bay now covered by early C20 extension). INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ3208599716

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463766

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing