CHURCH OF OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257655

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1996

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 18:02:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 33080 96767

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSBY

SJ39NW CHURCH ROAD 778-1/3/27 (North side) Church of Our Lady Star of the Sea

II

Roman Catholic church. 1898-1901, by Sinnott, Sinnott & Powell. Yellow sandstone ashlar (tower snecked) with red sandstone dressings, slate roofs. STYLE: C13 Gothic. PLAN: tall nave on north-south axis, with south-east tower (uncompleted), east and west aisles, a baptistery at the south end and a triple transept at the north end of the west aisle, and a full-height apsidal north sanctuary with side offices to the west. EXTERIOR: the 2-bay south gable, with angle buttresses and a central buttress carried up to a statue of Our Lady in a niche, has two 2-centred arched doorways moulded in 2 orders and containing square-headed doorways, two 2-centred arched 3-light traceried windows with deep moulded reveals and hoodmoulds, a circular traceried window in the centre of the gable, a small triangular arched window above this, and gable coping with a cross finial. The tower to the right, rising above eaves level in 3 unequal stages, has coupled pointed-arched to the first, a pair of cusped lancets to the second, uncompleted belfry louvres to the 3rd, and a pyramidal roof. The baptistery to the left, with a pitched roof, has a large 2-centred arched traceried 3-light window with a hoodmould. The clerestory of the nave has large 2-centred arched traceried 3-light windows; the aisles and aisle transept have 2-centred arched one-light windows with hoodmoulds. The 5-sided sanctuary has gables over 3-light windows. The hoodmoulds of the windows have differing figured stops. INTERIOR: 6-bay arcades of 2-centred arches carried on polished granite columns which have capitals with unusually large naturalistic foliation (all different, but now painted); hammerbeam roof. A conservative design for the date.

Listing NGR: SJ3308096767

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463588

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing