1112-1/27/418 (West side)
14/06/54 Nos.60-72 (Even)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.60 and 62, Nos 64-72 (Even) Our
Formerly known as: Nos.61-65 GOODRAMGATE.
Row of 9 tenements; now 5 shops and cafe. 1317 with later
alterations; part Nos 60 and 62 rebuilt in late C18; part
No.60 rebuilt and extended in early C19; altered in late C19
MATERIALS: timber-framed; fronts plastered, except for Nos 60
and 62: right bay of No.60 has front and right return of
incised render; left bay of Nos 60 and 62 have fronts of
painted brick in Flemish bond. At rear, ground floor is
orange-brown brick in random bond, No.64 plastered; upper
floor of first bay of No.60 orange-grey brick in English
garden-wall bond, second bay of Nos 60 and 62 red-brown brick
in stretcher bond; remainder of row plaster. No.60 has
part-tile, part-slate roof, hipped to right; remaining roofs
are pantile; brick stacks to No.64 and between Nos 70 and 72.
EXTERIOR: Nos 60 and 62 have 3-storey 3-bay front, with
jettied right return and 3-storey 1-bay extension further
right: remainder of range is 2 storeyed, with attics to Nos 68
and 70, jettied first floor, and 7 bays.
Right bay of No.60 has late C19 shopfront, returned to right,
encasing dragon post, with deep fascia and moulded cornice on
heavy grooved and scrolled consoles; shop door is
three-quarter glazed and windows plate glass. First floor
windows to front, return and extension are 4-pane sashes; on
second floor unequal 12-pane sash to front, unequal 9-pane
sashes to return and extension. Left bay of Nos 60 and 62
share C19 shopfront with moulded cornice between gableted
brackets; No.60 has three quarter glazed door beneath
overlight, No.62 half glazed door between half canted windows
over sunk-panel risers. First floor windows to both are canted
bays with 1-pane sashes and moulded cornices, and paired
1-pane sashes with painted sills on second floor. Raised band
to second floor, and timber eaves board and guttering on
No.64 has C20 glazed door between canted and cantilevered shop
windows of 4- and 5-lights: on first floor, two 2-light
Yorkshire sash windows, one with 4-pane lights, one 6-pane
No.68 has glazed and panelled door to right of reversed
3-light shop window: on first floor, one 2x8-pane Yorkshire
sash and in attic, raking dormer with 2x3-pane Yorkshire sash.
No.70 comprises 3 bays, right one with door to left of
2x6-pane Yorkshire sash window, left one with door to left of
plate glass window: third bay has 6-panel door, two panels
glazed, between small pivoting lights: on first floor, window
to right is squat 8-pane sash; to left, 3x2-pane Yorkshire
sash; in 3rd bay, fixed light with small inserted casement.
No.72 has glazed and panelled door to right of 3-light canted
bay shop window and fixed light at left end: on first floor,
3x2-pane Yorkshire sash window.
Rear: No.60 has 8-pane staircase sash in first bay. Second bay
has pent porch with 4-panel door and fixed window to left.
No.62 has blocked doorway to right of 2-light casement window;
both have 2-light fixed windows or Yorkshire sashes on first
and second floors and brick dentilled eaves course. No.64 has
6-pane casement window and gabled dormer with 2x1-pane
Yorkshire sash. No.66 has vestigial chimney stack with plain
door and 2x6-pane casement inserted on ground floor, and two
tiny casements on first floor; gabled dormer with 1-light
staircase casement. No.70 has board stable door to left of
2x4-pane Yorkshire sash, similar larger window to right, and
9-pane fixed light above. No.72 has large casement window.
INTERIOR: partly inspected. Most framing is complete, though
with some later alterations.
This range is thought to be some of the earliest urban
vernacular building surviving in England.
Nos 60 and 62 were listed on 19/08/71.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 143).
Listing NGR: SE6045852048