Nos. 41, 43 and 45, GOODRAMGATE


Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1257738

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: 41, 43 AND 45, GOODRAMGATE


Ordnance survey map of Nos. 41, 43 and 45, GOODRAMGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 22:39:57.


Statutory Address: 41, 43 AND 45, GOODRAMGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60482 52117


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SE 6052 SW, 1112-1/27/404

YORK, GOODRAMGATE (East side), Nos. 41, 43 AND 45

(Formerly known as: Nos.32-35 GOODRAMGATE)




Two shops and restaurant. c1500 with early C17 extension; Nos 41 and 43 remodelled in mid C19 and early C19 respectively; further alterations and extensions in C20; No.45 restored 1929 by Brierley and Rutherford. MATERIALS: timber-framed, frame and plaster infilling exposed on front of No.45; No.41 refronted in painted brick in Flemish bond, No.43 in orange-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond. Tile and pantile roofs with brick stack. 5-bay front range of tenements with 3-bay hall at left rear and 2-bay wing, probably rebuilt, at right rear. EXTERIOR: No.41: 3 storeys and attic; 1-window front. C19 shopfront with sunk panel pilasters and projecting cornice between entablature blocks with carved gablet caps; C20 glazed door and 2-light window. Window on first floor is 3-light square bay with dentilled cornice; on second floor, 1-pane sash with painted flat arch of gauged brick; to attic single fixed light beneath boarded eaves. No.43: 3-storey 1-window front. C20 shop front has recessed panelled door with lozenge-patterned glazing and divided overlight to left of plate glass transom window. First floor has 16-pane sash, second floor 12-pane sash, both with painted sills and flat arches; small inserted sash window at right of second floor. Exterior of No.45: 3 storeys and attic; 3-window front. First and second floors are jettied, second floor jetty dropped at left end to form a deep porch over entrance, supported on partly restored curved brackets. Double doors are glazed and panelled and shop windows have small-pane glazing. On first floor, windows over porch are paired casements and, to right, two oriels of 3 mullioned lights; on second floor, three pairs of casements; in attic, three half-hipped dormers with 2-light casement windows. Rear: 2 storeys, 2 bays, with gabled cross wing projecting at right; timber-frame exposed. Ground floor of wing obscured by C20 extension: windows are mullioned, of 2, 3 or 4 lights. All mullions are timber and windows have square leaded lights. INTERIOR: timber-framed, approximately 75 percent intact, but heavily restored in places, survives in all parts of the building. No.41 has simple cornice and plain fireplace on first floor. Range represents the survival of an apparently rare building type of which few other examples were known nationally at time of the survey. An incomplete example is represented by Nos 28, 30 and 32 Coppergate, York (qv).

Nos 41 and 43 were listed on 19/08/71. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 136).

Listing NGR: SE6048252117


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463506

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 136

End of official listing