STANLEY SIDINGS, STABLES TO EAST OF BONDED WAREHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1258101

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Statutory Address: STANLEY SIDINGS, STABLES TO EAST OF BONDED WAREHOUSE, CHALK FARM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of STANLEY SIDINGS, STABLES TO EAST OF BONDED WAREHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 12:24:07.

Location

Statutory Address: STANLEY SIDINGS, STABLES TO EAST OF BONDED WAREHOUSE, CHALK FARM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28626 84201

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2884SE CHALK FARM ROAD 798-1/65/193 (West side) 30/09/81 Stanley Sidings, stables to east of Bonded Warehouse (Formerly Listed as: CHALK FARM ROAD Former Tackroom of Railway Stables, to east of Bonded Warehouse)

GV II

Four blocks of industrial stabling, now workshops and warehousing. c1855-1870, with later Victorian additions. For the London and North-Western Railway Company's Camden Goods Yard. Stock brick, with hipped slate roofs, some stone lintels. Some iron columns internally, but floors and roofs generally of timber. EXTERIOR: mostly of 2 storeys. Northernmost block (A) abutting on Chalk Farm Road, c1855, with upper storey of c1895. Long curved front road, mostly of 2 storeys with eaves cornice but western end of one and a half storeys, somewhat altered, with chimney on roof. Round-headed half windows for stabling on ground storey, segment-headed industrial windows in upper storey (eastern end only). Elevation towards yard irregular. Eastern portion has cantilevered open balcony at first-floor level retaining some concrete horse troughs and connected by bridge to Block B and separately to ramp on Block C. Ceilings of ground storey have jack-arch iron and brick construction. INTERIOR of upper storey has separate compartments and paving for horses but no stalls. Block B immediately to north of North London railway line. 3 storeys. Ground storey c1868, originally provender store, with round-headed half-windows for stabling on long elevations; upper storeys c1881, with round-headed windows at first-floor level and segment-headed windows above. Tiers of loft openings for hoists, much altered and renewed. Connected by narrow bridge at east end to Block A. Block C between Blocks A and B and parallel to Block B. 2 storeys. Ground storey c1868, upper provender store, with round-headed half-windows for stabling on long elevations; upper storeys c1881, with round-headed windows at first-floor level and segment-headed windows above. Tiers of loft openings for hoists, much altered and renewed. Connected by narrow bridge at east end to Block A. Block C between Blocks A and B and parallel to Block B. 2



storeys. Ground storey c1868, upper storey 1881; horse ramp on north side of block c1895, connected with balcony on Block A. Round-headed windows on ground storey, segment-headed industrial windows above on both north and south sides. South side formerly had another horse ramp, of 1881, and covered bridge connecting with Block B, demolished in 1980s. Ground storey has iron and brick jack-arch construction and iron stanchions against walls stamped 'Norton and Son Darlaston'. Block D at right-angles and to west of Blocks B and C. 2 storeys. Ground storey c1868, upper storey c1881. Main elevation faces eastwards, with return northwards. Round-headed half-windows for stabling at ground level, some segment-headed sash windows above. Tall brick chimneys. INTERIOR with original timber benching, one timber partition and some harness hooks. Said to have been formerly the Tack Room for the stabling. Formerly connected by a bridge at south end to Block B. Included as a rare example of substantial industrial stabling and a major surviving portion of the former Camden Goods Yard. Forms a group with the 'Horse Hospital' to north-west (qv) and with further remnants of stabling and warehouses west of Block D (qv). A tunnel (now blocked) south of the North London line connects the complex with further LNWR buildings and the Regent's Canal south of the North London Line.







Listing NGR: TQ2862684201

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 476872

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing