Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258341.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 02:24:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sevenoaks (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 47655 44849


HEVER TQ 44 SE 53/514 Church of St Peter 10.9.54 B

The entry shall be amended to read:-

TQ 44 SE HEVER 53/514 Church of St Peter GV I Church. Late C13 (c.1292) north aisle; early C14 chancel, nave and tower with C15 alterations; Bullen Chapel of c.1450 to north of chancel. Roughly coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; gabled plain tile roofs and tall splay-footed shingled spire. Chancel with north chapel and nave with north aisle and west tower. Chancel has diagonal corner buttress and offset buttresses, C15 Perpendicular 3-light east window and, to south, a lancet window with C15 arched head and an early C14 two-light window. Bullen Chapel, with diagonal corner buttresses, has hood mould over C15 three-light east window with cinquefoiled heads and label mould over 4-centred arched doorway with sunk spandrels adjoining lateral north stack with octagonal ashlar shaft. North aisle, with offset buttresses, has hood moulds over two C14 cinquefoil-headed 2-light windows, label mould over square- headed C14 two-light window with trefoiled ogee heads and a trefoil-headed light. South wall of nave has roof-stair projection to east, and hood moulds over C15 segmental-arched and trefoil-headed 2-light window and (to west) a similar tran- somed window flanking gabled south porch of 1894 set in front of C14 plank door with iron strap hinges and knocker set in 2-centred arch of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. C14 two-stage tower has C15 Perpendicular 2-light window above hood mould over 2-centred arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders; upper stage has chamfered lancets above trefoil-headed lancets. Interior: chancel has two C14 carved head corbels beneath roof hidden by mid/late C19 soffit boarding and with two brattished cross beams; mid C15 two-bay arcade to Bullen Chapel with 4-centred arches of two chamfered orders set on octagonal and engaged piers with moulded capitals. Bullen Chapel has similar arch to north aisle, piscina to east, C15 fireplace with sunk spandrels and hollow-moulded architrave, and mid/late C19 soffit boarding to canted roof. Nave has C14 plank door with strap hinges set in rebated pointed arch to rood stairs, C15 arch-braced common-rafter roof with moulded ashlar plates, moulded cross-beam and mid/late C19 collar purlin and late C16 texts on south wall. Late C13 three-bay north arcade with 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders set on circular piers with moulded capitals. North aisle has C14 common-rafter roof with soulace pieces and moulded ashlar plates. Fittings: late C19 reredos, choir stalls screen and pews; late C16 altar (formerly manifold chest) with fluted Ionic columns and carved Renaissance decoration; early C17 (dated 1621) pulpit with strapwork panels, quilloche carving to muntins and rails, late C19 top-rail and base and C17 tester; font has C14 octagonal bowl set on mid/late C19 base surrounded by reset C14/15 tiles. Monuments: chancel has fine brass to William Todde, d. 1585, with kneeling figure at desk, fine brass with recumbent effigy flanked by angels to Margaret Cheyne, d. 1419, and early C16 floor tablet with brass cross to Henry, infant son of Sir Thomas Bullen. Bullen Chapel has exceptionally fine brass with recumbent effigies to Sir Thomas Bullen, d. 1538, and wife set on tomb chest with crocketed ogee panels divided by pilasters to sides and with heraldic shield set in quatrefoil to end; slate floor slab to Robert Humphreys d. 1736, two mid C19 wall tablets to Members of Mead- Waldo family, stele with urn to Colonel Rochfort d. 1856, Neo-classical wall monu- ment with Grecian Mourner and urn to Harriet Bloomfield d. 1838, and plain tablet to Janes Johnstone d. 1846. Stained glass: mostly C19 and C20, including east window of 1898; Royal Arms of 1660 in south west window; south chancel window of 1858. (Buildings of England: West Kent and The Weald, p.322).


1. HEVER Church of St Peter 5280 TQ 44 SE 53/514 10.9.54. B 2. Nave, chancel, North aisle and chapel, West tower, with tall, shingled spire. Roughly coursed rubble, freestone dressings. Plastered interior. Norman South nave wall, C13 arcade, of 3 bays. North aisle windows mostly late Perpendicular. Wide 2-bay chancel, also Perpendicular. Modern wrought-iron screen. C17 pulpit. Fragments of wall-painting with lettering. Several brasses including a large one to Sir Thomas Bullen, d.1538, the father of Anne Boleyn, resting on a decayed tomb chest. Modern wood South porch.

Listing NGR: TQ4733844421


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1969), 322


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10011/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael D Rowe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].