ELM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1258462
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1995
Statutory Address:
ELM HOUSE, BURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258462 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 06:19:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELM HOUSE, BURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Lawshall
National Grid Reference:
TL 85557 55414

Details

TL 85 NE LAWSHALL BURY ROAD (West side) 922/2/10017 Elm House

II

House. c.1600 and early C17, in 2 phases, with C19 alterations. Timber-framed and plastered. Double-roll pantiled roofs with C17 brick ridge stacks (upper shafts rebuilt C19). 3-unit lobby-entry plan: the service end is of cross-wing form. 2 storeys. 3-window range in all of 3-light casements. Doorway with plank door and moulded cornice of c.1800 above. 2-bay cross-wing of c.1600. INTERIOR: of cross-wing: axial bridging beams with lambstongue-stopped chamfers, unchamfered broad joists laid flat. A blocked 3-light diamond mullion window in partition wall against later range. Open kitchen fireplace with chamfered bressumer. Walls of cross-wing raised by 0.5m in late C19 when the whole roof rebuilt. Main range: close studding (mainly concealed). Bridging beams to first floor and attic have lambstongue-stopped chamfers; in the hall ceiling the joists are similar and laid flat (initially exposed). In the parlour the joists are laid flat but are unchamfered (initially plastered). Open fireplaces with bressumers to hall and parlour. Several C17 plank doors. Straight-flight stair in the cross passage is probably C 19. Apart from the roof a little altered early C 17 house.



Listing NGR: TL8555755414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445014
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15927/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].