HOYLAKE CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1258515

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1991

Statutory Address: HOYLAKE CHAPEL, STATION ROAD, CH47 4AA

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOYLAKE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258515 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 11:40:53.

Location

Statutory Address: HOYLAKE CHAPEL, STATION ROAD, CH47 4AA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 21583 88777

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/09/2016

SJ 28 NW 4/38

HOYLAKE, STATION ROAD, Hoylake Chapel

(Formerly listed as: HOYLAKE, STATION ROAD, United Reform Church)

II

United Reform (originally Congregational) Church, redundant at time of inspection (January, 1991). 1905-6, designed by Douglas & Minshull. Soft red brick in English garden band with sandstone plinth and dressings, Westmoreland slate roof. The interior is entirely clad in sandstone ashlar. Nave of five bays with aisles, entrances to NW and SW (the latter entered through a diagonally-set porch), transepts and polygonal apse to E. A second N entrance from a low range that connects with a church hall (1884) in a simple lancet style. A fleche over the crossing was not replaced after war damage. EXTERIOR: broad W front flanked by crocketted pinnacles; buttresses with several set-offs; 6-light window with two principal mullions and free-Perpendicular tracery; the hood and sill moulds continue to enclose a wide band of sandstone and three shallow niches to either side. Porch with pronounced coped parapet stepped above moulded original arched doorway. Side elevations (to nave and aisles): buttresses with several set-offs and gables, battered to aisles; 3-light clerestory windows, simple lancets to aisles with shaped heads. S organ chamber and transept staggered, the former with elaborate datestone (1905) flanked by windows. Large S window similar to E. 2- and 3-light windows to apse.

INTERIOR: the W arches of the arcades lower (to mark entrances); narrow aisles. Moulded arches die into piers. Deeply recessed clerestory windows. Aisle windows with jambs between corbelled. Hammer-beam roof. Full-height transept arches. Furnishings: woodwork by James Merritt: simple benches with carved ends; pulpit, an irregular polygon with recessed facets under open tracery and with elaborate stair. E end with dado and stalls. All the above are wooden. Stone font, curved bowl with large buttresses at cardinal prints. Black and white marble floor to E end. Glass: three apse windows by H Gustave Hiller (1922) with scenes of the Nativity, the Empty Towns and Ascension with groups of angels above (Jerusalem to centre light). Amongst the furnishings the pulpit, font and glass are noteworthy.

A good example of a quiet and well-proportioned church of its date, and an important late work of the important architect, John Douglas.

References: Buildings of England, Cheshire (1971) p.244.

Listing NGR: SJ2158388777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445106

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hartwell, C, Hyde, M, Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (2011), 406
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971), 244

End of official listing