This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

23 AND 24, KING STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 23 AND 24, KING STREET

List entry Number: 1258560

Location

23 AND 24, KING STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 445205

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KING STREET 1. 1605 (West Side) No 23 & No 24 TA 0488 4/166 22.12.53.

II* GV

2. Formerly the York Hotel. Mid C18 with late C18-early C19 alterations, originally one property. 3 storeys and basement good red brick front on stone plinth with stone quoins and moulded stone string across 1st floor. Wood frieze and moulded cornices. 2 bag front, recessed sashes, 4 panes wide, with rubbed flat arches to left hand and to right, above and splayed in to ground floor window, a 2 storey segmental bow with tripartite sashes, glazing bars intact. Sliding Yorkshire casement to basement, Central door of 6 fielded panels with large rectangular fanlight of diamond and triangular pattern. Stone doorcase of eared architrave, pilaster strips and carved scroll brackets to cornice-hood. 2 storey roughcast wing to rear, former public house front with pilasters and cornice on ground floor. Single and paired sashes on 1st floor, glazing bars intact. Though divided into 2 properties the rooms in both parts retain fielded panelling. In the part now No 23 corner fireplaces and good staircase: closed string, turned balusters with moulded rail and square newels.

The Brewery Stores and Nos 21 to 24 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: TA0440488630

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 04404 88630

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 05:58:37.

End of official listing