THE PADDOCKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1258605

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1975

Statutory Address: THE PADDOCKS, PENSHURST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PADDOCKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258605 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 05:34:20.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PADDOCKS, PENSHURST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks (District Authority)

Parish: Leigh

National Grid Reference: TQ 52559 45355

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEIGH PENSHURST ROAD TQ 54 NW 50/712 (north side) The Paddocks II

The entry shall be amended to read;

TQ 54 Nw LEIGH PENSHURST ROAD 50/712 (north side) The Paddocks GV II

House. Circa late C18 or early Cl9, extended in circa 1850. Weather- boarded timber frame, tile hung north end gable. Plain tile roof with gabled ends. 2 brick axial stacks. 2-room plan cottage with central axial stack and with circa 1850 1-room plan extension on north end. 1 storey and attic. Asymmetrical 1:3 window west front, the 1 window on left is the circa mid Cl9 extension. Circa early Cl9 and late C19 2 and 3-light casements with leaded panes, the attic casement in small gable to right of centre. Doorway to left of centre ith single tall canopied porch. Similar leaded casements to gabe ends. The east (rear) elevation has gable at centre similar to that at front with leaded-pane casement, and small casement under eaves and 12-pane sash o right and 2 large stone windows (apparently from Penshurst Place (qv)) on left each with 3 4-centred arch lights with narrow sash windows with margin glazing bars. C20 glazed porch on south gable end. Interior: South room has fielded dado panelling. Note: This was the home of the Duke family makers of cricket bats and balls in the adjacent cricket ball factory (qv). It was extended in circa 1850 when it became the Penshurst Bailiff's house, at about the time the factory moved (1841) to a site near Penshurst station.

------------------------------------

LEIGH LEIGH 1. 5280 Penshurst Road (North Side) The Paddocks TQ 54 NW 50/712 II 2. Weatherboarded house of l-storey and attic, 3 windows, irregular. May have timber framed core but present appearance largely early Cl9. Tiled roof with attic window in small gable at right. Brick foundation. This building was the "Bat and Ball" factory where some of the earliest cricket bats were made. Graded for historical associations.

Listing NGR: TQ5410846345

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445299

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing