MEDWAY PORTS AUTHORITY OFFICES (DOCKYARD HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1258883
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1977
Statutory Address:
MEDWAY PORTS AUTHORITY OFFICES (DOCKYARD HOUSE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEDWAY PORTS AUTHORITY OFFICES (DOCKYARD HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258883 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 09:26:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
MEDWAY PORTS AUTHORITY OFFICES (DOCKYARD HOUSE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 91347 75179

Details

TQ 9175 SW MAIN ROAD Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/94 Dockyard House and attached front basement 15.3.77 area railings

GV II*

Commissioners' house, now offices. Mid 18205, by George ledwell Taylor, architect to the Navy Board, and Sir John Rennie, engineer. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick heads and rendered dressings, central ridge and 2 brick lateral stacks at each end, and slate hipped roof. Late Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and basement; 2:5:2-window range. Symmetrical front with a rendered plat band. cornice and a full attic storey with a parapet. Timber porch has paired pilasters, cornice and blocking course, with architraves to the doorway with double 6-panel door with raised panels. and 9-pane lights to the sides. Flat-headed windows with 6/6-pane sashes with a possibly original outer sash for double glazing; 3/3-pane attic sashes. Outer single-storey, 2-window sections have a thin cornice and parapet. 5-window ends have blind windows to the chimney stacks, N end has a central tripartite first-floor sash with segmental-arched head, S end has a later full-height brick extension one bay from the rear and has lost the front stack. Similar rear with mid C20 ground-floor casements. 3-window outer sections with an early C19 porch 3 bays from the N end with a cornice and round-arched door and windows. INTERIOR not inspected but reported to contain many original features including a good curved central stair with mahogany rail, panelled shutters and doors. and enriched cornices. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron basement area railings to front and rear with urn finials and diagonal bars. HISTORY: the house and office of the Commissioner of the Yard, and a matching design to the adjoining officers' terrace, Regency Close (qv). Unlike the other royal dockyards, Sheerness was all rebuilt at the same time. Within the little-altered SE corner of Rennie's model layout, containing the entrance chapel and officers' accommodation, and part of a unique planned early C19 dockyard. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 54. 58, 59; Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851:41; Sheerness, The Dockyard. Defences and Blue Town: 1995:1).



Listing NGR: TQ9134775179

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445792
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sheerness The Dockyard Defences and Blue Town, (1995), 1
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 41

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04287/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Surita. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].