CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1258968
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258968 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 00:21:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Potterne
National Grid Reference:
ST 99547 58542

Details

ST 9958 POTTERNE HIGH STREET (east side)

14/142 Church of St Mary 19.3.62 GV I

Anglican Parish Church, C13 with some C15 work to tower, restored 1870-2 by E. Christian. Rubble stone with stone tiled roofs and coped gables. A remarkably uniform E.E. design of aisleless nave, chancel and transepts with central tower and north and south porches. Long lancet lights throughout linked by continuous hoodmould and sill course. Clasping buttresses. Four-window nave with 3-light west window, 3-window chancel with 3-light east window, 2-window transepts with two lights to north and south walls. Transept east walls have 3 grouped lancets. Chancel south side has low door with depressed arch. Large coped gabled north porch with 2-chamfer pointed arch. Large ashlar south porch with 3-buttress sides and chamfer-and-hollow moulded doorway. Centre tower has fine ashlar bell stage with 2 large 2-light plate- traceried bell-openings each side, infilled with C15 ashlar panelling. Shafted colonnette between openings. C15 pierced panelled battlements, pinnacles and polygonal south-east stair turret. Interior: severely regular, without carved elaboration. Sill- course and hoodmould to windows as outside, 2-chamfer tower arches and stepped 5-light east lancets with Purbeck shafting, the outer two lancets blank. C19 roofs: rafter-roof with braced collars to nave, boarded roofs with some stencilling to chancel and transepts. Boarded tower roof with 1598 on painted panel. Fittings: chancel has good c1870-5 stained glass in all windows but centre south light which is of c1860. Piscina on south wall, aumbry on north wall. South transept is blocked by large organ over vestry screen, 1936 by Sir C. Nicholson. South window glass of c1880. North transept has numerous plaques, on east wall various memorials to the Grubbe family of Eastwell. C15 wood pulpit on C19 base. Nave has C15 octagonal font on shafted base. At west end, rare Anglo-Saxon tub font with rim inscribed in Latin (Psalm 42.1). Above, fine carved Royal Arms, possibly C17 with Hanoverian arms replacing Stuart. Each side of west window commandment boards and large painted panels of Moses and Aaron from dismantled altar-piece of 1723. Fine west window glass of c1880. Nave north door is possibly C13, lattice-framed. On south wall plaque to Kent family - by Nollekens, c1799, and large neo-classical memorial with female figure by an urn, to J. Spearing, d.1831, signed E.H. Baily. Two lancets each side have similar glass of c1902 and c1906. Potterne was a manor of the bishops of Salisbury and pure E.E. style has similarities to Salisbury Cathedral. (N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975 371)

Listing NGR: ST9955258546

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445960
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 371

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/02575/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].