FORMER STABLES TO REAR OF DOCKYARD COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1258982

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1977

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLES TO REAR OF DOCKYARD COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STABLES TO REAR OF DOCKYARD COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1258982 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:34:41.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER STABLES TO REAR OF DOCKYARD COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 91358 75221

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 9175 SW MAIN ROAD Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/98 Former Stables to rear 15.03.1977 of Dockyard Cottage

GV II

Alternatively known as: The Stables, SHEERNESS DOCKYARD Officer's stables and carthouse, now offices. c1826, probably by George Ledwell Taylor, architect for the Navy Board, and Sir John Rennie, engineer, converted c1980. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick heads, and slate hipped roof. Single-depth plan of central carthouse and flanking stables. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 7 -window range. Symmetrical front with a plat band, brick cornice and parapet, central section set forward with 2 wide, altered former cart entrances now with late C20boardedlnfil[, beneath a central hay loft door; former stable doors each side with 3-pane overlights and late C20 doors, outer 616-pane sashes, and 316-pane first- floor sashes. Faces across a cobbled and paved stable yard. INTERIOR largely remodelled late C20. HISTORY: housed horses and carriage of the yard officers. Unlike the other Royal dockyards, Sheerness was all built at the same time. Within the little-altered SE corner of Rennie's model layout, containing offices, the chapel and the officers' accommodation, and part of a unique planned early C19 dockyard. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989; Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41 ; Sheerness, The Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995).



Listing NGR: TQ9135875221

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 445982

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sheerness The Dockyard Defences and Blue Town, (1995)
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989)
Rennie, J, The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours, (1851), 41

End of official listing