HALIFAX RAILWAY STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1259136
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1980
Statutory Address:
HALIFAX RAILWAY STATION, HORTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALIFAX RAILWAY STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259136.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 20:43:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
HALIFAX RAILWAY STATION, HORTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 09727 24922

Details

This record was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 8th November 2017. 1164 SE 0924 NE 19/340 2. HORTON STREET Halifax Railway Station

II

1855. Architect: Thomas Butterworth of Manchester. Contractors : George Thompson and Co. the well-known railway contractors. Built as a joint effort bythe Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and Leeds, Bradford and Halifax Railway.Altered in the 1880s and the late C20.

The style is a Baroque version of the Palladian idiom. Finely jointed and crisply carved ashlar. Slate roofs, substantial chimneystacks. 236 feet long with a frontispiece projecting three feet and the end bays projecting six feet. Single-storey, the frontispiece of two storeys. Very deep modillion eaves cornice, with a frieze of scrolled consoles alternating with raised panels. Continuous ground floor sill band. Three bay- frontispiece breaking forward again in centre bay with a port-cochere cochere that was reconstructed in the 1990s. Round arched doorway with three arches, the outer one panelled, the next Tuscan, taking moulded voussoirs, the inner one also Tuscan, but with shorter pilasters that take a full entablature as transom to the fanlight. The two flanking sash windows are pilastered and pedimented with balustrades running between the panelled plinths of the pilasters.

The side wings each have six bays with sash windows with moulded architraves and panelled aprons. The wing's windows and doorways have scrolled consoles supporting alternate triangular and segmental pediments. Doors with moulded stone architraves with overlights and segmental pediments. The end bays project forward and have tripartite pilastered sashes with panelled aprons.

First floor of the frontispiece also breaks forward in the centre where it is flanked by paired rusticated pilasters which take a modillioned pediment in the tympanum on which is a carved achievement of the arms of Halifax. Central blind oculi with four keystones containing a clock face. Two heavily rusticated blind Diocletian windows with moulded keystones in the flanking bays.

Platform (east) side has a cast iron and timber canopy of 1885-1886 carried on a single row of columns (now glazed in) – this platform is no longer in use.

On the island platform (platforms 1 and 2) there is an 1885-1886 cast-iron and timber canopied awning taken on two rows of columns with ornamental capitals and brackets to the cantilevers, which have pierced geometrical tracery in the spandrels, and rows of rooflights. A simpler but similarly styled enclosed footbridge of the same date connects the island platform to a late-C20 entrance structure and has stair access down onto the platforms (the stair accessing the far west former platform has lost its treads and is disused). A lift shaft at the east end of the footbridge was added in the late C20 to provide additional access to the island platform.

In 1885-1886 the station was altered by William Hunt, regional architect to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway who added the platform canopies and footbridge. He also created a siding platform in front of the building with a further canopy; the front (west) elevation thus became a platform elevation. The west siding and canopy were removed in the late C20 and the land now forms part of landscaped grounds serving Eureka! The National Children’s Museum.



Listing NGR: SE0972724922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
446328
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/07798/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].