TWATLEY MANOR FARM BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259173

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1997

Statutory Address: TWATLEY MANOR FARM BUILDINGS, SHERSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TWATLEY MANOR FARM BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259173 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:16:31.

Location

Statutory Address: TWATLEY MANOR FARM BUILDINGS, SHERSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brokenborough

National Grid Reference: ST 89879 87180

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST88NE BROKENBOROUGH SHERSTON ROAD (south side)

1359-0/3/10007 Twatley Manor Farm buildings

GV II

Stables, now used as farm buildings. Circa 1920-30. Probably by Septimus Warwick for Herbert Choplin Cox. Coursed limestone rubble with stone dressings. Stone tile roofs with stone coped gables. Axial and gable-end stacks with ashlar shafts. PLAN: Comprises two separate ranges. The south range in two back-to-back yards had stables, a blacksmith's shop, a large water tower and pump-house, a mess room, offices and garden sheds. The north range is built around a courtyard with open-fronted vehicle sheds, a vet's room, a fire station, a laundry house and grooms' lodges. C17/18 vernacular revival style. EXTERIOR: 1 storey and attic and single-storey ranges with stone mullion windows, gables and dormers. The north courtyard range has circular piers to open-fronted vehicle sheds facing yard, the west side has gabled carriageway with oval pitching-eye and re-set datestone inscribed J.H. 1772, and the inner elevation has external stairs to doorways with flanking windows in gables, each with ashlar stack on the side; the Tudor-arch carriageway on the east side is in a squat cross-gabled tower with a weather-vane; at right angles on the outer [east] side there is a single-storey cottage with stone mullion windows and gabled projection at centre with doorway with gabled canopy. The south range has yard on the north side with open-fronted sheds, arched gateway with wrought-iron gate and fox above; the west range has external stairs to loft door on north end and large water-tower with cross-gabled roof; the south yard has ranges of stables with lofts. INTERIOR: glazed tile walls in some of the ranges.



Listing NGR: ST8987987180

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463187

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing