FORMER CHAPEL AT BOOTHAM PARK HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259398

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: FORMER CHAPEL AT BOOTHAM PARK HOSPITAL, BOOTHAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHAPEL AT BOOTHAM PARK HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259398 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 07:46:14.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CHAPEL AT BOOTHAM PARK HOSPITAL, BOOTHAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60163 52706

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052NW BOOTHAM 1112-1/8/99 (North East side) 24/06/83 Former Chapel at Bootham Park Hospital (Formerly Listed as: BOOTHAM Chapel at Bootham Park Hospital)

GV II

Church, now offices. 1865 by Rawlins Gould; conversion c1988. Coursed squared sandstone with limestone dressings. Roof slated in bands of alternating colour. Ridge tiles have iron cresting. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: comprises a 4-bay nave with continuous chancel, short north and south transepts, and an apsidal east end. An octagonal turret projects from the south-west angle. EXTERIOR: the west wall has a window of 3 trefoiled lights with 4 quatrefoils under a pointed head. The west doorway has double angle shafts with carved foliage, an outer pointed arch and an inner trefoiled arch. The doors are late C20. The gable is coped and has a cross finial. The upper stages of the turret are of ashlar and have sunken quatrefoils below an open bell stage with pointed arches separated by shafts with foliated caps. The stone spirelet has a weather vane finial. The nave windows have 2 trefoiled lights and a quatrefoil under pointed heads and have angle shafts with foliated caps. The south window of the south transept is similar, and its east window has a single light. The transept gable is coped with a cross finial. The north transept is similar, except that it has no north window and has a chimney breast which projects slightly and terminates with an ashlar cap. Below its west window there is an inserted doorway. The 5 windows at the east end are each of one trefoiled light with a trefoil under a pointed head. INTERIOR: east window lights separated by columns with foliate capitals set with masks and volutes and moulded bases with bar stops; continuous moulded sill has corbel stops at each end. Windows have continuous hoodmould springing from carved bosses and angel corbels bearing the symbols of the Communion. At west end, tower door is boarded with scrolled hinges in 2-centred arch. Hammerbeam roof of arch-braced trusses springs from angel corbels and have floral bosses attached. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 154).





Listing NGR: SE6016352706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462944

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 154

End of official listing