BISHOPHILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1259549

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: BISHOPHILL HOUSE, 11 AND 13, BISHOPHILL SENIOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOPHILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 07:51:42.

Location

Statutory Address: BISHOPHILL HOUSE, 11 AND 13, BISHOPHILL SENIOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60060 51517

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW BISHOPHILL SENIOR 1112-1/28/36 (North East side) 14/06/54 Nos.11 AND 13 Bishophill House

GV II

Formerly known as: No.13 Bishophill House BISHOPHILL SENIOR. Town house, now hotel. Early C18, extended in 1740; extended further in late C18, and altered in early C19; renovated c1980, following fire. Pink mottled brick in Flemish bond, on chamfered brick plinth at front; painted stone doorcase and timber eaves cornice; slate roof with brick stacks. PLAN: original plan L-shaped, with extensions to left and left rear. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 5-window front. Pedimented Ionic doorcase with attached shafts on stone bases, pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice; double doors, each of 8 fielded panels, beneath radial fanlight, in round arch on pilaster responds with moulded imposts. All windows are 1-pane sashes with painted stone sills, those on second floor squat; all have flat arches of gauged brick, those on first floor painted and keyed. Raised brick bands at first and second floor levels. Fasciated eaves band beneath plain cornice on heavy carved brackets, returned at each end. One gabled dormer in attic. Rear: on first floor, semicircular bow window with bronze frame and glazing bars. INTERIOR: entrance hall retains original stone-flagged floor, moulded cornice, and doorcases with pulvinated frieze and dentil cornice. Round stairhall arch on fluted Ionic pilasters with panelled reveals, moulded imposts and egg-and-dart enrichment. In ground floor flanking rooms, window surrounds are reeded with angle blocks. Rococo plaster ceiling from the Saloon reinstated at Peasholme House, St Saviour's Place (qv). Remaining fittings and staircase, as described by RCHM, destroyed in fire. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 59-61).



Listing NGR: SE6007551507

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 462793

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 59-61

End of official listing