5 and 6 Prospect Row, including attached front area railings and rear boundary wall


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Nos 5 and 6 Prospect Row, attached front area railings and rear boundary wall


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259654.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2020 at 15:50:37.


Statutory Address:
Nos 5 and 6 Prospect Row, attached front area railings and rear boundary wall

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Medway (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


Pair of early to mid-C18 town houses. C19 alterations and single-storey ranges added to the rear.

Reasons for Designation

Nos. 5 and 6 Prospect Row, Brompton, two early to mid-C18 town houses, are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: as good examples of early Georgian terraced town houses retaining interior features and layout. No. 6 retains its original doorcase; * Historic interest: as a reminder of the early development of Brompton, providing accommodation for the dockyard and its garrison. Additions to the rear and infilling of the passage between the two houses provides evidence of subsequent C19 development; * Group value: for its contribution to one of Brompton’s earliest streets, and relationship with its other listed houses.


Prospect Row was developed in a piecemeal fashion between c1710 and 1756, providing accommodation for civilian, naval and army personnel associated with Chatham dockyard and, from the mid-C18, its fortifications. Construction started at the northern end of the street with nos. 2-4 Prospect Row being built between 1711 and 1714. No. 6 appears to have been built around 1740 but no.5 may be earlier. The 1866 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows a passage between no. 5 and no. 6 but this had gone by the time of the 1896 edition. Long ranges, presumably single-storey workshops or stabling, are shown to the rear of both houses on the 1866 map.


Pair of early to mid-C18 town houses. C19 alterations and single-storey ranges added to the rear.

MATERIALS: the front elevation to no. 5 is of grey brick, laid in header bond, with red brick dressings, and has a later, second-floor of darker red brick laid in stretcher bond. The rear elevation is of red brick laid in English bond, probably of C19 date. No. 6 is of red brick, the front elevation of laid in a loose Flemish bond (whitewashed) and the rear elevation in English bond. Tile roofs.

PLAN: No. 5 is of three storeys (originally two storeys) plus a cellar with a double plan, originally with a side entrance off a passage at the northern end of no. 6. This was enclosed in the late C19, becoming part of the interior of no. 5, served by a street-front entrance which was added. No. 6 is of three storeys plus a cellar with a rear closet range and has a central internal stack between the front and rear ranges, and the stair adjacent to it. There are long single-storey ranges to the rear of both houses, probably C19 in date, that to no.6 possibly originally a stable.

EXTERIOR: the front elevation of no. 5 is of two bays with an entrance set within the fabric of no. 6. It has a pair of six-over-six timber horned sash windows to the ground and first floors, set in red-brick segmental arched openings with stone keystones. The later second floor has a centrally placed window with a flat red brick head. It has a C19 moulded timber door surround with flat hood supported on consoles. No. 5 has a transverse pitched roof at the front with a lean-to semi-mansard roof (abutting the side wall of No. 6) to the rear of the central stack. The rear fenestration is of single, two-over-two, timber horned sashes in square openings on the first and second floors and modern French windows.

Of four bays, the front elevation of no. 6 has a parapet with a dentil cornice. The regular fenestration has two windows on each floor, set centrally with entrances either side on the ground floor (that to the left gives entrance to no.5, as stated above). Windows are eight-over-eight horned timber sashes set in brick segmental-arched openings. The C18 timber door surround has pilasters supporting a plain entablature with a later hood over. The six-panel door has the top two panels replaced with glazed lights. The rear elevation also has a dentil cornice and there is a two-storey closet wing (with a single-storey link to an originally detached rendered, single-storey range with a tiled hipped-roof, possibly originally a stable). Fenestration of the rear elevation is broadly regular, arranged in threes. The central window on the first floor has been blocked. The central ground-floor window has been converted into a French window, with a single brick arch now connecting it with the left-hand window. Windows are mainly six-over-six hornless timber sashes in tall openings with arched heads.

INTERIOR: in no. 5, the ground-floor front room has full-height panelling, window seats, a moulded cornice, four-panel door and a fireplace with a replaced or reworked moulded timber chimney-piece and an adjoining alcove with slender curved shelves, and a glazed front. It has full-height panelling in the hall, from which there are stairs to a brick-vaulted cellar. The rear room has a timber chimney-piece with reeded jambs and flanking cupboards. The first-floor front bedroom has full-height panelling and a moulded cornice. The second-floor front bedroom has a plain timber chimney-piece and adjoining alcove. The newel stair has a plain square newel post and stick balusters to its top landing.

In no.6 the ground-floor front room has full-height plain panelling, at least in part of later date, a large brick fireplace opening with a timber bressumer and an adjoining alcove, with probably original, slender curved shelves. The rear room has an identical fireplace with an adjoining cupboard and a four-panel door. The first-floor front room has full-height panelling with a dado rail and a dentil cornice, and window seats. There are brick fireplace openings with bressumers to all upper-floor rooms. The open-well stairs, which are predominantly C18, have columnar newel posts with square section blocks to the base and top, flattened pyramidal newel caps, heavily moulded rails, at least in part, turned balusters, and dado panelling with a ramped rail.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a brick boundary wall between the two houses has a soldier-course capping and steps down in height to the east.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Medway Council, Brompton Lines Conservation Area Appraisal (2006)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16049/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sue Spice. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].