CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1259905
Date first listed:
11-Feb-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1259905.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:08:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Kington
National Grid Reference:
SO 99041 55880

Details

KINGTON

648/2/500 CHURCH OF ST JAMES 11-FEB-65

GV II* DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church of C13-C16, restored in 1881 by W.J. Hopkins.

MATERIALS: Sandstone and lias in regular courses, timber-framed gables and tower, tile roofs.

PLAN: Nave with aisled west tower, lower chancel, north porch.

EXTERIOR: In the buttressed nave the south wall was rebuilt in the C16 when the nave was widened, which explains why the tower and chancel are offset from it. The nave has C19 Decorated windows, two 2-light south windows with deep splays, a similar 2-light window and single-light window on the north side. The north doorway has a continuous chamfer and is within a C19 timber-framed porch. The buttressed chancel has plain and cusped south windows of the C13, C19 3-light Decorated east window, and a pointed and a small square-headed north window. The C15 tower has a stone base, incorporating aisles which have pointed north and south windows with sunk spandrels and square labels. The west doorway has a continuous chamfer; above, the close-studded framing has diagonal braces, simple 3-light wood-mullioned belfry openings, and a low saddleback roof.

INTERIOR: The nave and chancel have C19 keeled boarded wagon roofs with moulded ribs and bosses. In the nave there is a single moulded tie beam. Another tie beam is across the east end where the break with the chancel is marked by arched braces on corbels, with pierced spandrels. Walls are plastered. In the chancel is a big triangular-headed recess, and segmental-pointed aumbry in the north wall. Re-set corbel shelves flank the altar. Floors are C19 tiles, richer in the sanctuary, with wood floors below benches.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The plain octagonal font is on a square base, medieval but not precisely dateable. Some pre C19 benches have square heads with chamfered edges. C19 benches have moulded edges and roundels with flowers in relief. The wooden pulpit is composed of 2 facets, with blind Gothic tracery and cornice made up of older woodwork, probably from a C16 rood screen that is said to have been removed in 1693. C19 choir stalls have moulded edges to shaped ends, probably contemporary with the nave benches. There are 2 late C20 stained-glass nave windows by John Petts of Abergavenny.

HISTORY: The church has a C13 core to the chancel and nave, although the latter was widened in the C16. The tower was built in the C15. The church was restored in 1881 by W.J. Hopkins, architect of Worcester. Substantial repairs were undertaken in 1962 when tile roofs and some timber framing were renewed.

SOURCES: A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, 2007, pp 418-19. R. Haden, St James Church, Kington, 1985.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St James, Kington, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * It is a small aisleless church that retains much of its medieval fabric. * For the special interest of its distinctive C15 timber-framed tower.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
443559
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11989/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].